Life as normal

"Hey Blair-Bear!"
My father sings cheerfully as he waltzes into the kitchen and proceeds to rustles my brown hair into a messy bunch.
"Dad!" I protest " I told you not to do that! my hair is not short like it used to be. It tangles every time!"
"Ahh" he waves me off, walking over to the coffee pot to pour himself cup "since when did you start caring so much about your hair anyway?" He raises his eyebrow and his cup in unison.
I pause.
"When I... got a job."
"You got the job????" He says almost choking on his coffee.
I let out a mischievous smile as my dad practically jumps with joy at my good news.
"I knew you would land the interview! To think my baby girl it's going to be a professional bone doctor!"
" Dad I'm not a-" I facepalm and let out a slight chuckle. " I'm an archaeological anthropologist."
"Right, right, that!" He says if he knew all along.
"Do you want to see the letter I got?"
He nods making a slight noise as his mouth is filled with another gulp of coffee. I pull the letter out of my bag that rests on the floor by my chair. Dad joins me at the table, cup in hand. The smell is making me wish I didn't give up caffeine for new years last month.
"It reads," I say in a mockingly sophisticated voice, " Dear Miss Kendra Blair Jones, we are proud to inform you that you have been selected umongst many graduates to attend a four month expedition, your FIRST archaeological adventure! We will provide you with on the job training as well as room and board for the duration of our excavation. We will be travelling to the beautiful land of New Zeland! We will be diging a few miles from the famous Wairau Bar site! Please come prepared with basic survival accommodations. We can't wait to meet you! Congratulations on starting to live for the dead!"
Reading out loud makes it so real. "Then the rest is just basic information and addresses and stuff."
I look up from the letter to see my father's hazel eyes turning green as they filling with tears.
"Dad?"
"Your mother would have been so proud." he croaks as the tears roll down his weathered face.
I lean over and embrace him. We share a tender moment that I will allways cherish. As we break from our hug he wipes his eyes and looks in mine.
"When do you leave?"
"This time next month..."
"Oh kendra.." he wrappes his arms around me again. "I am so going to miss you."
Fighting back the tears, face buried in his chest, I muffle.
"I'll miss you too pop."