Departure

~one month later~

"Yes dad I promise to call- da- dad, I gatta go my plane is boarding, yeah, love you too, bye."
I hang up the phone and rush to the gate to board my plane.
"I'm sooo excited for my 17 hour flight to New Zealand" I sarcastically say to myself as I turn to look out the window
"Bye Cincinnati, at least for now."

Finally after two layovers I arrive at the airport in New Zealand. I then walk out of the plane, grab my bags and look around. Scanning the crowd I come across a tall middle-aged man holding a sign that says;
"Welcome Dr. Kendra Blair jones."
A little shocked I walk up to the gentleman.
"You must be Dr. Jones!" He bellows in a welcoming warm voice upon seeing me walking towards him.
"Thats me." I wave a little nervous. "I go by dr. Blair however, not trying to be the second best archaeologist named dr. Jones."
"Haha I like you! the name is Dr. Douglas, I'm going to be your chauffeur to the dig site."
"Oh I thought I'd go to the housing first and drop off my belongings?" I brought attention to the bags I was holding and he let out hearty chuckle.
"My dear the "housing" is at the site. Everyone there gets their own individual tent."
"Oh okay cool no problem." Not what I was expecting but I'm not disappointed.
we drove a very long time to reach the site and towards the end it was a lot of off-road paths. During the trip I learned that Dr. D (as he prefers to be called) has been an archaeologist for over 20 years and he is actually in charge of this Expedition. He told me he wanted to personally be there to pick me up and welcome me to the team, to let me know that I am part of the family now. He's quite a nice man, reminds me of my dad. He's a lot rounder though, he's got white bristles in his short beard, and you can just tell by his tough skin that he is outside most of the time.
"Were here!" We pull up to a huge site bustling with activity. There are people carrying pots, crates, and tools left and right, others are digging and even more are brushing off and studying artifacts. I feel like a kid on Christmas I'm getting it so excited. I can't wait to join in on the fun!
"come on" dr. D's voice snaps me out of my people watching. "I'll introduce you to a few people and then how about you run off and play, I can tell you're excited."
I and give him a big smile and he leads the way. We walk past tents and tables and I can see at least 10 holes already. The site is phenomenal. The sun is illuminating the bright white tents. The smell of recently turned earth is like a welcoming call home. It's all perfect for my first time.
"Over there is where we eat, there is always fresh water in there if you need it."
"Oh food! I cant wait for dinner that airplane food did not do the job." My stomach growls at the thought.
"You hungy little one?"
I jump at the sound of a new voice. Spinning around I am met with cool blue almost incorporeal eyes and a charismatic smile.
"Ehem" Dr. D clears his throat drawing our attention to his sunsoaked face.
"Kendra this is Hunter Evan," he introduces with a sigh "Hunter Is our main investor, he has.... personal interests in this particular site." He seems to quickly continue to the next topic "Hunter this is Dr. Blair."
Trying to be as professional and adult as possible I extend my hand to take his.
"Plesure to meet you Mr. Evan," He gently yet dominantly takes my hand in his to bring it to his lips. Lightly ticking my hand with his thick dark beard he says "you must be mistaken, the pleasure is all mine." punctuateing his words with a gentle kiss on the top of my hand. I'm so shocked by the forward gesture but only blush in response.
"We also have two other smaller investors you'll meet later, they are a lot less hands-on." Dr. D cuts in and begins to explain when a young man covered in earth and sweat comes up and taps him on the shoulder.
"Doc you're needed on site."
"Ah yes Michael, thank you, I'll be right with you" Dr. Douglas swivels back towards us.
"Hey Hunter, I have to take care of something, I was going to introduce Dr. Blair to the team could you take over for me?"
"Ofcourse Doctor."
He says casually looking back to me. For a moment I see a flash of an intent I can't describe, disappearing as quickly as it appeared.
"Thanks Hunter," Dr. D pats my shoulder in a familiar, paternal way. "Kendra, I hope you feel at home. If you need anything don't hesitate to ask."
I nod excitedly. As he walks off discussing structual integrity with Michael, Hunter turns to look at me and smiles.
"looks like you're stuck with me."
I chuckle as we begin to walk towards a group of what looks like scientists but everyone is in plain clothes covered in dirt so there is honestly no way to tell.

The night goes on for hours, there are so many names and so many faces it's going to be hard to remember.
"I'm glad that part is at least over."
I think to myself as I walk into my tent. My things have already been put neatly by my cot. Man sleep sounds so good! I don't even undress or unpack before I collapse into the soft fabric of my cot and drift into sweet unconsciousness.