28

Michelle and Silvia arrived at the airport without exchanging a single word. They had slept away the whole day, then they had reached the airport at six o'clock p.m., perfectly on time.

Unfortunately the flight had a six-hour delay, whose cause remained unknown; maybe it was the lousy tough luck the girls had been persecuted by for nine months... that delay thwarted the appointment Silvia had fixed with her gynaecologist for her abortion: actually it had been fixed for the following day. They landed in Milan at ten o'clock instead of landing at four o' clock in the morning. It was a tragedy. Silvia tried to say good-bye to Michelle but she replied  by giving her the finger, so they took two different taxis which took opposite directions.

"I'll go and have an abortion..."

"Fuck you" Michelle had grumbled out. She was really pissed off.

Silvia made her appearance at the hospital at eleven o'clock. She was four hours late: of course they did not hospitalize her. She tried to contact her gynaecologist on the phone, but as she did not make it she waited patiently until she could meet her in the ward.

"Have you changed your mind?" smiled doctress Molteni as she saw Silvia.

"I missed my airplane" she answered sadly.

"Follow me" said the doctress without slowing down her pace. They went to her office, where she consulted rapidly her agenda without even taking a seat.

Silvia felt just like crying. Then doctress Molteni took a sorry look at her.

"It goes without saying that we cannot arrange for anything today... you've realized that by yourself, I guess. Honestly I thought you had changed your mind; now there is just one alternative, that is to say the curettage. And it is not going to be a push-over."

"I was a fool to embark on that journey. I really was a fool."

"The first available date is the fourteenth of September. The hospitalization in this case will last three days. You'll have to organize everything properly with your family... above all you shall have to be here at seven o'clock, not at eleven. Is that okay with you, Ms. T.?"

"You are always so kind to me. Thanks so much, doctress. We'll see each other on September the fourteenth then."