Worksheet

Takane was, as impossible as it may be, in an absolutely good mood. It was rare for Haruka to see her like this. She was actually wearing a small smile and humming a happy tune to herself as she scribbled on her math worksheet, calm-looking and, well, not annoyed at their teacher for the first time in forever. And to think that they were doing a math problem – it truly was a rare sight.

He finished his worksheet early and was just watching her from his seat, with her not even noticing and being completely focused (or not) on the problem she was already going through. After a few minutes, she stretched her arms really high and let out a relieved sigh. “Finally! I’m done!” she announced cheerfully with a wide grin Haruka found really pretty. “Tayetama-sensei has failed from ruining my day!”

“You’re in a good mood today,” Haruka voiced out his observation. He was used to the grumpy and moody female classmate and she was unusually cheerful that day. It’s not that he didn’t like it; it’s just that he was just wasn’t used to a gleeful Takane. He actually loved discovering the different sides of her.

She looked at him and shrugged. “Hn. Maybe I am.” She leaned back on her chair with both of her arms and legs crossed, smirking a little when it looked like she remembered a little recent memory. “Well, it’s just that those annoyingly arrogant guys were no match for me! You should’ve seen how they reacted!” She laughed heartily and Haruka wanted to record her laughter into his phone – he felt like he could listen to it for more than a year and would never get tired of it. It was music to his ears. “It’s priceless!”

He tilted his head, having no idea what she was talking about. He didn’t mind not understanding anything, though. He liked witnessing her genuine smiles. “What do you mean?” he asked curiously with a friendly smile, hopeful that she’d elaborate more and not think of him as a total idiot.

“It’s this quarter-final match at Dead Bulle–“ Her eyes widening and complexion paling, a thought seemed to interrupt her explanation. Panicked-looking, she looked at her confused classmate. She shook her head quickly, dismissing what she just said. “N-Never mind! Forget I said anything!” She turned her back on him, fiddling with her phone and white headphones.

Without her noticing, the smile on Haruka’s face dissipated and was replaced by a disheartened expression. He assumed that she didn’t trust him enough to tell him whatever exciting event happened recently with her life, and he felt more disappointed he should’ve. Again, there was this throbbing in his chest which was definitely not another attack. It was similar yet so different from the one he usually felt with Takane around. This time, he didn’t like it. It hurt.

There it was again, her headphones back on her ears, her eyes closed, and her fingers tapping to the rhythm of the upbeat song she was listening to. Once again, she was in her own little world and Haruka wasn’t a part of it.

His eyes were on her for the longest time, hurt evident in his expression if ever anyone saw him. He wanted to be a part of her world; he wanted her to be able to trust him, to be more comfortable in his presence, and to be regarded as one of her best friends. He already saw her that way, and it pained him more that she didn’t see him the way he did.

Do you hate me, Takane?