Prologue

Luna Lovegood walked along the dirt street of the small village of Fins Point, in New Zealand. The mid-day autumn sun reflected off her dirty blonde hair, as it was coiled around her head tightly in a braid.

She hummed softly to herself as she passed one of the locals, a middle aged man with wispy salt and pepper hair.

He raised his hand in greeting at her, and she nodded her head with a smile, her arms held two large bags full of food.

She focused on the road ahead of her as she headed towards the small cottage she was renting, it had small kitchen, bedroom, a small sitting room, and a bathroom.

She walked across the gray pebbles in front of the house, and unlocked the door, she shut it behind her as the lights turned on.

She placed the bags down on the countertop, and began taking the vegetables out.

She looked over her shoulder as someone knocked on the door, her light eyebrows knitted together in confusion, she hadn't been expecting anyone.

Walking over to the door, she moved the curtain back and peaked out the window.

Standing back, she pulled the door open to reveal a man with light brown shaggy hair and bright blue eyes.

He smiled at her, but Luna was too busy staring at the Bowtruckle in the man's vest pocket to notice, the small creature peaked out of the breast pocket at her.

"Hello, my name is Rolf Scamander. I was wondering if you happen to know of a Luna Lovegood? I was under the impression that we would be working together, but I haven't been able to find her." Rolf Scamander asked her kindly.

Luna tore her gaze away from the Bowtruckle, and focused her pale silver eyes on the man. "I'm Luna. I don't remember hearing anything about working with another
Magizoologist." She narrowed her eyes slightly, but her face remained calm.

Rolf sighed, "I'm terribly sorry about that. I suppose that we both were given false information, but, seeing as I have already arrived, there isn't any reason as to why we still can't work together." He looked up at Luna.

Luna stared at him, her face blank.

Rolf swallowed as his smile slowly slipped from his face, he was slightly unnerved as Luna stared at him, not blinking once.

He loosed the breath he was holding when Luna smiled at him, her eyes shining brightly.

"Would you like to come in? I just went to the market and got some food, we can discuss when we will head out into the forest to begin our work." Luna stepped back.

Rolf accepted the offer with a grin and walked inside, Luna shut the door behind him.

"Have a seat." Luna said and pointed towards the small table in the kitchen by the window.

Rolf did as he was told, and laced his fingers together upon the table, his Bowtruckle looked up at Luna as she waved her wand.

Some of the food began to unpack itself, while the rest of it began make itself into dinner.

Luna sat down across from Rolf, her back perfectly straight as her ankles crossed beneath the table, she wore no shoes, so the dark green carpet was soft underneath her bright purple and blue striped socks.

Rolf shifted in his seat, slightly uncomfortable as Luna fixed her stare on him once again, he smiled nervously.

"What's his name?" Luna broke the silence.

Rolf frowned for a moment, before his eyes widened in understanding, "oh!" He sat up straight and pulled the Bowtruckle from his blue vest pocket.

"His name is Glenn. Glenn, say hi to Luna." Rolf said and then looked down at the Bowtruckle as it slid from Rolf's hand and stood up on the table.

Luna smiled as Glenn made a series of clicking noises at her, before blowing a raspberry at her.

She laughed softly, and the sound remanded Rolf of his grandfather's old Niffler.

"Glenn, we've been over this, you can't go giving people raspberries in greeting, it's uncivilized." Rolf craned his neck down so he was eye level with Glenn.

Glenn turned away from Luna, and placed his long arms on his hips, his brown eyes narrowed at Rolf, before he blew a raspberry in the young man's face.

Rolf sat up straight and wiped his eyes with the sleeve of his gray shirt. "That was very rude, Glenn." He half glared at the Bowtruckle.

He looked up at Luna and smiled apologetically, "sorry about that."

She smiled, "it's quite alright."

Rolf quickly put Glenn back in his breast pocket as a bowl of salad placed itself in the middle of the table, followed by a loaf of bread already sliced, and a plate with four slices of cooked fish.

Plates were placed down before Luna and Rolf, before Luna began to place food upon hers.

"I've grown up with magic my whole life, and I am still amazed every time food is prepared with it." Rolf told Luna as she handed him the fork and spoon to get himself some salad.

Luna smiled at him as she placed fish and bread onto her plate.

"Now, let's talk about when we shall venture into the forest to look for new creatures." Luna said as she began cutting her food.

Rolf nodded, turning pink slightly as noticed how soft Luna's skin looked.

He held back his shriek and looked down as he felt something sharp pierce his nipple, he stuck his tongue out at Glenn as the Bowtruckle looked up at him and blew a raspberry.

Rolf looked up at Luna, and was relieved to see that she was too busy cutting her food to notice the exchange he had with his Bowtruckle.

Once they had finished their food, they agreed to meet at sunrise the next day to begin their work, Rolf and Glenn headed back to where they were renting a flat in the village after that.

Luna closed the door, and leaned back against it, a small smile on her face as her eyes looked around the room.

Pushing away from the door, she walked to her bedroom and picked out her outfit for the next day, then left to shower.