Chapter 10, Part 4, By the Flying Lights

"She loves me... She loves me not... She loves me... She loves me not..."

Oscar woke up to the blinding shine of the sun on his face--and to Nympha's voice, which he heard a bit farther away to his right. He yawned, stretched his arms in the air, and got up on his feet. His eyes still felt sore as he gazed at his companion.

She was sitting on a boulder cross-legged, holding a red flower by her lap. Its petals swiveled and drifted by her feet as she plucked them out one-by-one.

"What are you doing?" Oscar asked.

Nympha looked up at him and smiled. "Nympha is playing She Loves Me! Nympha wants to know if mother loves her."

As she continued with her game, Oscar found himself staring at Chumid Kingdom again. Now that it was in broad daylight, it seemed even more massive than before. The central fortress' tower spiraled into the air, cutting clouds in half with its tip as they passed by. The walls surrounding the kingdom were so high that only the roofs of the other establishments could be seen--just as he had seen last night.

Stretching his arms again, he looked at Nympha and asked: "You ready to go?"

"Yes." She nodded. The petal-less flower stem slipped between her fingers and fell on the ground.

"Okay," Oscar said. "Let's go."

And off they went.