I'm yours for the taking

December 12th year 2000

I was assigned the graveyard shift today, I'm not really the type that easily gets scared but there was something about tonight that unsettled me. it's probably because of that lecture about how there was going to be a lunar eclipse tonight by our history teacher and that they were omens and what-not. Whatever, I just need to dig up that box near the river and deliver it to my boss. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not a shady person. What I'm doing is completely legal, or at least I think it is. How I got this job, however, is a long story so let's just say I'm a poor orphan looking for college money that happened to come across a job opening and the rest as they say, is history.

I push the wheelbarrow and continue to make my way to the mound near the river where my "assignment" was buried. I began digging up the soil until I heard a 'thump' and the shovel seemed to hit something like wood. I began dusting off the remaining soil and was shocked at what was before me, and as if on cue, the eclipse slowly began...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"If only you weren't born! You are the son of the devil! Die you bastard! DIE!" 

"NO!"

I wake up gasping for air and drenched in my own sweat. That dream, its been so long since I've had that dream, why now? "Ugh. I need some fresh air." I change into my service clothes and head to the garden. As I walk through the silent, empty halls I chanced a glance upon the sky, it was a beautiful full moon yet the sky seemed dark without the stars.

"Father Cain?" I heard someone call me. 

"Father Michael? Why are you still awake at this hour?"

"I was going to get a glass of water. Why are you still up father Cain?"

"I just wanted some fresh air." I said smiling

"It looks like tonight is the night of the eclipse huh father?" 

Suddenly, something in my gut was bothering me. It felt like there was an impending sense of doom about to befall humanity tonight, and I hope no, pray that this feeling is just that; a feeling but my instincts have never failed me before and I'm afraid that they aren't about to fail me now. As I looked at the moon images began flashing through my mind, a river, the eclipse, a girl... No. This was what I was afraid of.