Chapter 9

"So," Fred asked Bruce, "How long have you known Nico?"

"Since this morning." Bruce shrugged.

"He seems to like you." Fred told Bruce, "Don't hurt him."

"I would never." Bruce said, affronted.

"Don't get yourself killed either." Fred said, surprising Bruce, "All the people he cared about did that. I've watched them change him, only to die a few days later."

"Hulk prevents me from dying." Bruce explained, "He's considered invincible."

"Bruce, buddy," Fred sighed, grabbing his shoulder, and steering him towards a pizzeria, "Percy Jackson was considered invincible until he died."

"Who?" Bruce asked.

"Not my place to tell you much, but he was Nico's cousin. He had a curse that made him invincible, and Nico just said the others died, which, as I can guess, would include the seven and co; Percy Jackson, Thalia Grace, Will Solace, Annabeth Chase, Jason Grace, Piper Mclean, Leo Valdez, Frank Zhang, and, Nico's half sister, Hazel Levesque." Fred ran a hand through his hair, "Before that he lost his full sister, Bianca, and then ran away. He shadow traveled to me once or twice then."

"Why are you telling me this?" Bruce asked, sounding concerned, "What do you suggest I do?"

"Nico, even if he doesn't seem to be, is a broken man... boy... god... person, whatever. He needs help in a big way, and that help can't come from me, since I'm not there in the moments he truly needs me. Even I can't pick up these pieces he's shattered into this time; it'll be a hard job, but I know you can do it."

Bruce nodded, determined, "I fully plan to." He paused, "Maybe saving the world while I'm at it."

They entered the pizzeria, and bought a pepperoni pizza. They were waiting for the food to be made, when a news reporter came on screen.

"This is Conner Kent reporting from New York. A few seconds ago, Tony Stark fell from Stark Tower, and what appears to be a portal to outer space came out of the sky." The cameraman shakily turned to camera to reveal a giant blue and black swirling mass, and panicking citizens.

"Oh god." Fred gasped, "Is this what you're supposed to be stopping?"

"Yes." Bruce's voice was barely whisper, "And from now until the battle's over, it'll only get worse."

"You go get a motorcycle." Fred handed Bruce a wad of $100 bills from his shoe, "I'll go get Nico. Meet out in the parking lot of this place."

Bruce nodded, and ran off.

CHAPTER 9

Nico sat up quickly as he felt Loki's magic. He had learned minimal magic from Loki, but Loki was still better at it, however, he could still sense magic like everyone who used it. There was a large amount of Loki's magic mixed with the Tesseract and the Spear not far away...

"NICO!" Fred shouted, running in seconds later, "There's a portal over Stark Tower!"

"Oh gods." Nico muttered, "I gotta go. Stay safe, Fred."

"I will." Fred said, breathing hard, "Please don't get yourself killed, or I'll do everything to get you back."

"I'm immortal." Nico deadpanned while hurrying to gather supplies for the trip. Fred grabbed his arm, and smiled knowingly before handing him an already packed bag. Nico could smell the pizza in the ziplock baggies. Nico smiled, and hugged Fred. He realized Fred was getting old, and soon wouldn't able to be a security guard anymore... Nico sighed, and accepted that fact as they hugged. They both knew this very well could be goodbye. They pulled away, and walked out. Hulk and Bruce stood there, a motorcycle beside them.

"Why is it always a motorcycle?" Nico asked, "And you do realize I can teleport through shadows without fading now, right?"

"Yes, but we both know that traveling from Long Island to New York is dangerous with a man with no godly blood." Then Fred smirked, "And besides, Motorcycles look cool."

"True, and true." Nico nodded. Bruce and Hulk got on, and patted the seat behind them. Nico got on, and they were off.