Prologue

It's an overly warm Sunday midday.

Mia fiddles with the pleating along the bottom half to her most cramped church dress. Keeping her head down, she drowns out the sound of her father's voice. Yes, Mia's father is the pastor of the church, and she hates it.

She doesn't mind the thought of church, or going to church, but because of it her family holds up a very high image. Mia just wishes she could dress, possibly a little more casual like the other families that attended. The dresses Mia is forced to wear are tight, shapeless, hardly breathable, and most of the time itchy-- especially on a hot day such as today.

Today was a "special" day. It's the day before school starts back for the town, so more people are here than usual. Regular comers, non-regulars, even people who we've never seen before. Mia's dad knew this, and made her family dress the very best they could.

Her father's name is Norman-- Norman Taylor. Her mother is Amelia, who is Colombian-American. Her father had the whitest name, and her best friend Elijah made sure she knew it. Her mother wanted her and her sister to have pretty names, but Mia's dad sticks out like crazy. Elijah's favorite thing is say is "Norman? More like Boreman." He would say this because he knew how hard Mia's dad was on them around the house. Her father give them rigid curfews, TV rules, internet rules. Anything he can control, he controls it. He wouldn't even allow her to spend the night at a friends house until she was sixteen years old.

Elijah convinced his mom to go to the church event that day, just to talk to Mia before school. They were about to head into senior year together. Mr. Taylor allows Mia to talk to Elijah even though he's a boy, but talking in person, verbally, is easier, because Mr. Nosey can't track every little thing that is said. Once church lets out, everyone is being friendly and talking, as the two teenagers move outside the front door and sit on the steps. "So, are you ready for the big one two?" Elijah says to her, nudging her side with his elbow.

Scoffing, but smiling lightly she tilts her body in his direction, whilst pressing her back against the railing next to her. "The big one two, good one there big shot. But I honestly don't know. The past three years have been a bust because of my drill sergeant of a father. I never got to party, mess up, or have fun in any way! I've never dated, or even looked at a boy before!"

"Hey!" Elijah widens his eyes, opening his arms in a defensive manner. Mia laughs and shoves his shoulder lightly, leaning down onto her knees looking to the ground. "I'm a guy and you know it. And one sexy one too." Elijah rubs his non-existent beard, slacking his jaw and raising a brow, giving off an oh so vacuous look to the girl.

"Oh come on Lija, you know what I meant by it. I see you like a brother." Elijah smiles and props an arm on Mia's shoulder. It was quite easy because she was on the shorter side. Mia lets out a glum sigh. "I just hoped I would have dated before Senior year. People already see me as the daughter of a church man. I want to feel normal. Experience normal things! Look at you, you've had like 4 girlfriends-".

"Ah! I'll have to stop you there, it was 2. I had a thing with that Macey chick for a while, because she thought I was so irresistible," such an eye roller, "-but I saw her making out with that Jock wad and immediately said nah to that." Boldly sitting up straight, he folds his arms across his flat chest, puffing up.

"I thought Macey rejected you, when you asked her to homecoming Sophomore year, and went with that guy instead?" Elijah immediately slumps over, a frown forming on his lips.

"Couldn't you have at least pretended that I'm a popular guy." Mia chuckles softly and kicks her feet out, crossing her right over her left, leaning to rest on Elijah's shoulder. Thinking about the next day, she pursed her lips, then letting out a loud smack sound. "What M?"

"We're seniors Lija, about to be done with this stuff." Elijah and her stare off across the road, at a gas station where people come and go as they get their belongings. They stare for a while before Mia continues her thought. "Let's just hope it's a memorable year."

"Don't worry Mia, I'm sure this year will be the craziest one yet." Elijah wraps his arm around the top of her back, gently going around and patting his hand on her shoulder. Nestling into him she nods in a dull agreement, not very convinced. But little did Mia know, this year will be the most hectic roller coaster she's ever been on yet.