2

For over two decades, Marshall and Melina had managed to find a way to separate work from their life together. It was hard. The both had brains that moved like flying Ferraris, always searching for the next answer, constantly coming up with new questions. It made them both great scientists, but terrible lovers. They had brains that struggled to slow down long enough to be in the moment, to try and fall in love. But somehow, the chemistry of love was strong enough to bring them together.

But after 20 years, they had been stagnant in complacency for a long time. Conversations were rehearsed. Good morning. Good night. Pizza or Chinese tonight? They used to watch movies together, but probably because that required no communication. It was completely passive, and sometimes they would fall asleep before the movie was even past the opening credits. The amount of hours they spent together and conscious could be counted on one hand, at least on workdays. And forget about sex.

Marshall tried to tell Melina that maybe they should take a break over Chinese takeout. Not a separation break, he corrected when her she stopped chewing her chow mien and her eyes narrowed. A vacation, at least for a while. Work was overwhelming them, devouring them. They were people first, scientists second. Melina agreed, saying she would find time in her schedule for this vacation that they both knew was absolutely necessary to keep their relationship alive. They ate the rest of the night in silence that was only broken by a quiet hum of news from the TV.

That was a year ago, and the vacation never happened.