Chapter 1: The Start

A Stranger's POV

I hear the howls of the wolves in the forest. I can sense their restlessness. Something is going on, and I smell danger!

"What's going on?" my wife whispered behind me. I know she feels the same way I do. Something is really off.

Bang!

We both looked at the door from which the loud sound came from. "Feline, go and get our daughter, and prepare to leave. This house is no longer safe. Go!" I pushed her towards the nursery of our house where our daughter is in deep slumber. i, for my part, went to get my gun. I took another pouch filled with silver bullets. Yes, silver bullets.

People think wolves are myths, but they know nothing. They haven't lived in the forest all their lives to know the truth. Wolves do exist.

Bang!

Another deafening sound came from the door, and brought me back to my senses. I loaded my gun with the said bullets. Feline,with the baby her arms, came running to my side as well. I can feel her trembling as I guide her towards our backdoor. Our baby, however, remains asleep. That's a good thing! I just wish she remains that way as we escape. 

I first looked at the window overlooking the back area of our house. I looked keenly. No movement. It is safe.

I slowly opened the door. I motioned Feline to follow me with silent steps. Despite her fear, she did what she was told. I whispered to her, "When we get out, run for the forest and I'll be on the lookout. When something bad happens, just keep on running until you reach town. Never stop! Find shelter there at Cousin Libby." She responded with a nod.

We crossed the open and into the forest with no interference. However, when I thought nothing could go wrong, a white wolf appeared before us. She was stunning if not for the huge gash at her side.

I pointed my gun at her, ready to shoot, but she instantly shifted back to human form. "Help me!" she called. I was hesitant to approach at first, but my wife went to hear in purposeful strides. "You're dying." she said while still carrying our daughter in her arms. I was afraid the wolf might do something to them, so I came closer as well. I pulled Feline behind me, and said to the wounded woman, "What do you want?" all the while holding at my gun tightly.

"I'm Avril, the Luna of Westridge Pack. We were ambushed by some rouges on the way to our territory." she said. "My daughter is with me. She's there." pointing to the bush nearby. "Please bring her with you. I cannot survive this anymore, but I pray to the Moon Goddess she survives. Please." she pleas to us.

Feline immediately gave me our daughter, and went to the bush. She got the baby and got back to Avril. "Are you sure?" Feline asked. Avril nodded and kissed her daughter for the last time. "Her name's Alina. Now, go! Thank you!"

I was about to say something, but a wolf suddenly appeared twenty feet from us. Avril, despite her wound, shifted back to her wolf. "Run!" I shouted at Feline, and we both sprinted to town with the babies.

As we run to safety I keep on hearing growls. I dared to look back, and I saw Avril biting the neck of the rogue that found us. I was about to stop, but another appeared behind her. She was quick to face her new enemy and another battle ensued. I went to run again, and never looked back.

When we reached the town, we immediately went to Cousin Libby's house. We knocked, and after a few moments the door opened to my still groggy cousin. "Come in, dearest cousin, Feline." When we sat by the hearth with the two babies still in sleep, Cousin Libby asked, "What's wrong? Why did you came her so late at night?" And there, I narrated to her our encounter.

Libby did not believe us, I can tell. Nonetheless, she allowed us to stay for the time being.

Days went by, and I mustered the courage to go back to our cottage in the forest to get some things. Feline insisted that she'll join me, and she won't take no for an answer, so I was forced to just allow her.

Together, we went to our cottage.

On our way there, all was calm. The situation of our cottage, however, was a different story. It was a mess. Our table was turned. The chairs broke in halves. Our frames broke. The roof has holes of all sorts.

My guard was down when I was rattled by sound of gurgling that came from behind me. When I looked back, my knees gave away because of what I saw.

My wife's throat is open. Cut. A man with red eyes, and wolf hands stood behind her. She fell to the ground with eyes open. Dead.

Feline is dead.

I did not notice it anymore as the mutt came for me, and slit my throat. I did not notice it when I died.

I simply felt weak, and everything went black.

________

Author's Note:

This is the first chapter of my first long story. I hope you like it. Oh, I also hope you show your love by voting! If you have suggestions with the media for this story, please feel free to comment down below. I'm also very open to constructive criticisms. Thank you and enjoy!