XI. | the plan

XI. | the plan

                     PRESLEY WOULDN'T DRIVE me to school the next morning. He waited until I was ready to leave, then said he wasn't taking me. His calm disposition was better than the night before, where he'd followed me into my room, slammed the door behind us, and told me how much I was hurting Mom by claiming my want to talk to Dad. I was lucky enough to have Sarah on my side. She dropped me off in her cruiser before heading to the station.

Before she could leave, I asked, "Where was Mom this morning?" I hung through the cruiser's passenger window, savoring the air conditioning within.

"She went to work early," Sarah said, catching the look in my eyes. She could see the uneasiness in them. "Listen, I don't know everything about you guys yet, but from what Rose told me, none of you are very keen on seeing your father." She was quiet before asking, "What changed your mind?"

I was sick of hearing the worry in everyone's voice when they spoke to me. Presley had been cruel, but he was still worried about me. Mom was the same. I sucked air in through my teeth. I made my bed, and no matter how much I wish I hadn't, I was going to lay in it.

"I haven't seen him since I was little. I want to see what he's been up to."

It wouldn't have been a god excuse for Presley or Mom, but Sarah nodded her head as if she understood. I was thankful she accepted my answer, because the warning bell rang out across the school campus, letting me know I didn't have long until I was tardy to chemistry. I bid Sarah a quick goodbye, then made my way through the hallways of Beacon Hills High. It was the first time I'd entered the school alone, and I was finally able to truly see how many kids went to the school. I got to Harris's class just a the bell rang, ignoring the glare he sent me as I made my way to my seat next to Danny.

"Hey," he said, leaning over to talk to me while Harris went through the homework. "Are you coming to the game tonight?"

I stared at him before remembering what day it was. Tuesdays were lacrosse days, and the first game since the move was tonight. I remembered Presley telling me about it over dinner a few nights ago. Thinking about Presley made me wince, and I opened my mouth to answer Danny, who was smiling at me and pretending to listen to Harris.

"Maybe," I began, "I don't really know. Pres and I got into a fight last night - he might not want me there."

"Oh," Danny said, shrugging his shoulders, "It's okay if you can't. I know the team would like you to be there, though."

"The team? Why?"

Danny looked at me as if I were insane. "New player moves to town, somehow gets first line even with a hip injury, and has a hot sister our age? Half of the team's, like, obsessed with you." I wrinkled my nose and he said, "Well, not obsessed, but they still like you."

That made me laugh. Before Harris heard our conversation, I nodded my head. "I'll think about it, sure. No promises."

-

I was sitting in the library during lunch when Stiles and Scott found me. I was reading an article on my phone about the Lahey murder, but by the time they reached my table, I'd stashed the phone away in my jacket pocket. They didn't wait before sitting down across from me, nothing but seriousness on their faces.

"Can I help you?" I asked them warily, not liking the way they were glancing at each other. Faintly, I remembered that Presley didn't want me hanging out with them anymore. The idea had seemed absurd before, but now I could see the craziness in the friendship I shared with them. Sitting across from me was a werewolf and his best friend.