The day we met

It was warm autumn morning, I just had a previous argument with my parents about my drivers licence having just gotten it yesterday. Even after the long process of taking the test and taking my ID picture I still don't get to drive. Nothing like a family breakfast of bickering over what car I get to drive and even possibly should I be able to drive. Considering the fact that I am a new driver and a teen one at that. My sister Brenna and I decided to quietly sneak out the back of our esteemed real estate, as the kitchen got louder, we made our hasty quiet getaway into the living room.

We climbed the stairs and neared our bedroom Brenna peered around her bedroom door.

"Hey are u going to mom's work fundraiser thing?" She asked.

"I didn't really want to but I guess mom and dad need help setting up." she followed my response with

"Okay, cool" and turned back into her room.

After the crazy breakfast we headed toward a small venue for the fundraiser. Once we arrived my parents gave out assignments for what needed to be done including myself. Unload the tables and chairs. she demanded. The warm sun was beating down on my neck while I was unloading the tables and uncomfortable chairs for people to sit on, my called mom me over by the small bar that was set up by one of her employees, Rosalie had put together, I stalked over to the small booth and saw Rosalie and another girl i didn't recognize. There was something about that unfamiliar girl that had me drawn to her. My mother Christine being the loud and crazy and notorious social person she introduced the young beautiful girl as Rosalie's sister Evelynn. Her golden hair and icy blue eyes looked at me and her nervous smile greeted me as we were introduced. After we exchanged names I began my short descent back to the stacked tables and matching grey metal chairs for me and a couple guys to bring in from the truck and form into a nice seating area inside. My father, Mathew informed me and the other men that were helping to take a break and that there was food and drinks by the mini bar.

Evelynn's POV

Rosalie and I were cutting up pineapple to add them on a Maraschino cherry for the drinks that would be made when guest arrived. I kept quiet as my sister and other people she works with talked about how they thought tonight was going to go and what time they would need to leave to finish getting ready for the elegant but casual event. As the day went on and meeting people i've never met, I found myself wanting to know little bit more Samuel, Christine's son. Rosalie and her fellow female coworkers and I sat around one of the dinner tables talking and drinking the beverages we got from the red cooler. When the ladies paused in their conversation I took the chance to ask about Samuel. I leaned over to my sister.

"Hey, so what school does samuel go to?" I asked.

"Um... I'm not exactly sure but I know it's a private christian school," she smiled.

"Oh okay."

Christine came over the the table to announce that the setting up portion is pretty much done and everyone should come back around 6 'o'clock about and hour before it started. As everyone got up and started to leave Christine turned to my sister and I, assuming that she didn't need to talk to me I pulled out my phone and started scrolling through Instagram.

"Okay, so there is one more thing I need from you guys." she addressed and pulled my attention to her. "So I know it's last minute but I was wondering if Evelyn would be willing to babysit some of the kids that are coming while the parents enjoy and have their attention on the fundraiser?" she pleaded. I contemplated in my head while Christine explain the details of her question. Rosalie noticed my hesitation. "You don't have to." they both advised. Even though I wasn't too big on the idea I agreed with having to check with my dad to make sure it was okay. Christine was content with my answered and left swiftly to find the rest of her family.

Later that evening guest started to arrive to the beautifully lit locale and made there way to the claim their table as Christine and Matthew announced the series of events of the fundraiser. I shook parents hands and led their children to a small daycare set up in the back. Chaos started to arise as I tried to calm down the hyperactive children. A couple of them shouted that they were hungry and others shouted that they were thirsty. I tried to ease them so that I could text my sister to see if there was any snacks or water that the troublemakers could have. Before I could finish my text, a little girl threw her shoes across the small room I was given to watch kids. Trying to remain calm and not yell, a girl wearing black cocktail dress with a bronzed gold criss cross stripe design, introduced herself as Brenna, Samuel's sister.

"Hey, my mom and Rosalie sent me in here to see if you needed anything" she asked concerned flinching by the rowdiness created by small children. I told her that I was going to text my sister to see if there was anything that the little humans could have to eat and drink. "I'll call and tell Sam to bring sandwiches and some water bottles." As she proceeded her call to her to brother I briefly thanked her and gathered the youngsters around the makeshift craft table, I informed them that food would be coming soon. After my small announcement the rowdy children started to settle down and wait; some colored and the rest of them started to play games on small tablets that they brought with them. When Samuel came in with mini sandwiches and water bottles, they jumped with joy. We sorted them out evenly, i showed my gratitude to both of them as they walked out of the gated area.

The evening finally died down and the last kid left. They sure did leave a mess; i made it my mission to throw away plates and unclaimed scribble drawings. There was still small mess left to clean up but I needed another trash bag. I sauntered over to wear a Rosalie and Amy another one of my sister's coworkers were. I saw a trash bag and strolled along back to the 'kid corner.'

"Hey, Evelynn, wait up!" Samuel called out to me. I slowed my pace for the cute boy to catch up. My heart started to race. Was I nervous? I don't know. We walked to the leftover mess in awkward silence, but in the end we got the job done.

"So... uh Evelynn?..." Samuel nervously said as he reached his muscular arm to scratch the back of his head. I turned toward him not knowing what to say. Rosalie called out to us but directing her message to me. With her being tired and it being late, I thanked Samuel for his help and bid him a goodnight. He showed a genuine smile with slight disappointment but wished me a goodnight along with a nice meeting you.

On the car ride home i thought about the positive things about tonight, hoping I'd see that cute boy again.