Guarded

"I see you've met my daughter," The CEO of the Villamonte Corporation was sitting in front of Edward from across the huge round table, donning a black suit, and a pair of spectacles, his face impassive as his eyes studied Edward carefully. If he was at all curious, he was very good at feigning he wasn't.

The CEO had graying hair and a wrinkled face. His posture was that of a man who carried power despite its kyphotic form, but even he wasn't immune to time. It was obvious that CEO Villamonte, despite his wealth and influence, was growing weak, brought about by his age.

Edward could've smirked at the thought. Just seeing the man who destroyed his family in this vulnerable form was some form of vengeance in itself. But more than this barely gratifying feeling, Edward's deep-seated hate was clawing its way to him.

Edward barely noticed that his hand was already a ball of fist under the table. He had to calm himself down before his façade breaks.

"Yes, sir," There was a pause. Calling him sir brought a bitter taste in Edward's mouth but it was a small price to pay. "I apparently did."

"I apologize for her childish behavior," the CEO sighed, as though thinking of the incident exhausted him. "She's a little hard to control."

Edward's mind flickered to the scene that unraveled before him just moments before this meeting. Apparently, Miss Marydale Villamonte wasn't the robber he thought she was. In an attempt to report her to the security, he found out she was the daughter.

"Hello, Mr. Edward Aries Rixon. I'm Marydale Villamonte. Nice to meet you."

Marydale had extended her hand, smiling innocently at him, although looking back, Edward thought there was nothing innocent in the way she had tricked him into thinking she had zero idea who he was.

That mischievous devil.

Edward couldn't think of anything to say.

"That is the very reason why you're here." CEO Villamonte continued, his eyes piercing into Edward's with a sense of urgency Edward couldn't quite comprehend. "You need to make sure she doesn't do anything stupid."

Edward's brow arched. "Pardon, but what exactly does that mean?"

"Let's just say she has a bad habit of running off." Mister Villamonte's lips pressed into a thin line, eyebrows furrowing, emphasizing his wrinkles even more. "You are to make sure she doesn't do that again."

Sounds pretty easy, Edward thought. He knew there must be something behind the worry in the CEO's eyes, but for now it wasn't his business. He was entirely focused on his goal. This mission to protect the daughter was just a beneficial side trip.

"Yes, sir."

"Don't feel too bad about what happened," Vivoree grinned, falling into step with Edward as he made his way to the headquarters after his meeting with CEO Villamonte. "She's been doing that to every agent assigned on her post."

Edward wasn't the least bit interested in Marydale's traditions, but the implication that she has had several agents before him sparked his interest. "How many were there before me?"

"Four. There were four." Vivoree paused, as though thinking hard. "One for every year from the moment she turned eighteen. You're fifth."

She's only a year younger than him. Twenty-two. Was it really that hard to look after that girl?

"Where are they now?"

"They're assigned somewhere else after a year of being her bodyguard." As if sensing Edward's next question, Vivoree continued: "It's because the CEO thinks it's safer that way. For what reason, I can only wonder."