Shocking Consequences

Word Count: 2,095
Spoilers:
Tag to episode 4x08 "Wishful Thinking"
Summary:
This is the aftereffects of what happened to Sam in this episode. What if things weren't fixed quite so easily, and what would Dean have thought about it?
Note:
This is an alternate ending to episode 4x08. I've tweaked it a bit, so it varies a little from how the show actually happened. And I know they weren't close with Cas yet, but this is how I wanted it to go.

***

Sam felt something rough pressing into his right cheek. His whole body ached, even though he wasn't moving at all. He wondered how much worse he would feel if he actually did move. He didn't want to even think about it.

It was dark, too dark to make out even the vaguest of shapes. Although, the darkness was a bit...off. It had a reddish tinge to it. He went to blink, only to realize he had his eyes closed. That would explain it. He opened them cautiously, blinking as he adjusted to the bright sunlight glaring down at him.

His whole world was tilted and he felt his body pressed to the unforgiving sidewalk below him. He had no idea why he was just laying down on the ground. He couldn't remember anything, only that they were on their way to retrieve the coin from the well. Dean rushed ahead, and then...nothing.

He slowly sat up, his body protesting every movement. He winced and held back a groan as pain blossomed from his upper back and spread through his chest. His limbs felt heavy and sluggish and he wanted nothing more than to just lay back down and go to sleep. He knew he couldn't, though. He needed to find Dean and finish the case.

Once upright, he quickly took stock of his body, looking himself over. He seemed okay. Other than the deep aches he felt, he seemed fine physically. Nothing seemed broken. Confused as he was, he just shrugged. He'd live.

He did notice, however, that his shoes seemed to be missing. He raised an eyebrow, wondering how the crap that had happened. He looked and spotted them a couple feet away, strewn haphazardly the way Dean would toss his boots off after checking into a hotel for the night.

He reached over and grabbed them, the action sending fresh pain coursing through his torso. He paused for a second to catch his breath as it stuttered in his throat, eyes scrunching through the pain. After a couple of seconds, he managed a deep breath and steeled himself as he reached the rest of the way for the shoes.

He put them on, his fingers working slowly and numbly as he fumbled with the laces. He was just finishing the last bow when Dean walked out of the restaurant, alert eyes scanning his surroundings until they lowered and settled on Sam. He raised an eyebrow in question.

"It takes you ten minutes to tie your shoes? Thanks for the help in there, Sam," he said with a bit of annoyance at his lazy brother.

Sam just shrugged, then as an afterthought, he asked, "Did you get it?"

"Yep," Dean answered, patting his jacket pocket where the coin was stashed away.

Dean took a second to really look his brother over. He seemed too quiet and he couldn't understand why he just sat there on the pavement looking a little dazed. His eyes scanned him over, his gaze resting on the side of his brother's head. There was a small patch of bloodied hair matted up on the side.

"What happened to your head, Sammy?" Dean asked, hurrying to his brother's side and kneeling beside him.

Sam looked at him with a look of confusion and brought his hand up to touch his head. He felt a wetness and his hand came away bloody. His eyes widened at the sight. He hadn't even noticed that he'd hurt his head, but now that his brain was aware of it, he felt the pain wash over him. He winced at the pounding he felt in his skull.