Chapter 1

High school - just great. I was never really one to enjoy the thought of it. Since that incident with my best- no, scratch that, ex-best friend.

After that, all I ever thought about when it came to the word "school" was that it was a cruel place where people could and would judge you on rumors and the things that get around. Especially the rumors came from the 'queen' of the schools' population. Sounds just like a typical sap story from a book, doesn't it?

"So since all of you and new to me, and I'm new to you, why not we all introduce ourselves to one another? I'll start. Hello everyone, my name is Miss Patricia Clements. I am have a degree in both Mathematics and Science and your teacher-in-charge. I hope we have fun together this year." Miss Clements spoke in a loud and clear voice as she grinned to the class. "Let's go! Your name and something about yourself please!"

Students then stood up, made their introduction and sat down once again, most of them with less enthusiasm than the last might I add. Then, a girl with dirty blonde hair that ended at her chest stood up. She had a thin, heart shaped face that was caked with make up, a skirt too short for her own good and a black tank top. Here we go.

"Hello everyone, my name is Kathy Victoria Shelton," I winced at her slurry voice. Not the best thing to hear at 8am might I add.

Of all people that I could have been put into the same school- no, class with, it just had to be Kathy-stupid Victoria Shelton, the one girl who I wanted to punch square in the face every other five seconds.

It seemed being bitter was my specialty whenever she was concerned. Yet I can never help but sigh as I think about how close we used to be.

"I just don't get you Cierra. I would be overjoyed if my parents weren't there to stick their nose into my business anymore. All they do is nag and nag at me all da-" I couldn't take it anymore. My hand went straight across Kathy's face, leaving a red patch of skin in its wake.

"Don't talk about your parents like that! Don't you know how hard they work for you? To make sure you can get basic needs? Food? Education? A place to sleep at night? I've never understood how you take them so much for granted!" I could feel tears threatening to flow from my eyes as I screamed at Kathy.

"You did not just slap me! You don't have the right to tell me what I think about my parents. Please if they're so tired everyday from working they should just go to bed and sleep. Why bother about what I do everyday? Asking stupid, rhetorical questions all day. Besides, they're my parents, isn't it their right to take care of me?" Kathy rolled her eyes as she flipped her hair.

"You're...so..."

"Yeah, what am I, huh Cierra? Tell me." Kathy's eyes danced with spite.

"..se? Cierra Rose!" Miss Clements voice cut through my zoned out state. I turned my head from the window to the teacher in front of the classroom. "It's your turn to introduce yourself Cierra."

"Oh..." Standing up, I could hear snickers coming from the class. What's new. "Hi, my name's Cierra Rose Johnson and I enjoy reading and music." Flashing a quick smile I sat down once again only to be met with hushed conversations filling the class.

Way to go attracting attention to yourself on the first day of school kid. I mentally kicked myself. People got from my old school had gotten so used to my hushed and mumbling voice they probably forgot that I actually knew how to speak.

"Class! Please settle down! On to the next person.." Already getting distracted with my prior thoughts, my eyes lingered out the classroom window once again.

"You've changed Cierra." Kathy Spat.

"No, you were too busy placing yourself on a pedestal to notice anything. Cause it always had to be all about you. You were better before but now you've turned into someone who's so...stuck up." I shook my head in disappointment.

"I've not done anything wrong Cierra. You know what, forget it. You've always been such a bit-"

"Okay class! As today is the first day of your high school life, there's a little get together sessions for all the freshman in the main hall. I'll meet all of you there once I'm done with a few administrative things. You may leave your things here. That's all, go on now."

Everyone started flowing out of the classroom. Knowing better than to try to get involved with people, I picked up my things at an almost sluggish rate, doing the best I could to ensure I didn't get caught within the crowd.

"Cierra, could I please speak to you for a while?" Miss Clements voice was gentle and soft. I can't possibly be in any trouble....right?

"Yes Miss Clements?" Keep your head down, pretend you don't exist and others will do the same. Hopefully.

"Cierra, I understand that you live alone with your older brothers," Oh goodness anything but this talk. "I am also aware that you work after school to help with your...family's income. I'm not going to ask you about your job or anything like that, but I just want you to know, that if you have anything you might need help with, I'm here for you, okay?" Miss Clements rested her hand on mine in an attempt of giving comfort.

"Thank you Miss Clements, but I'm fine, really," Flinching away at the touch I simply replied with the most polite tone I could possibly muster.

"Are you sure? You seemed very distracted today during class. Your body was here but your mind was in a totally different pla-"

"I'm fine." I choked out the two words as my eyesight got more and more blurry due tears that were threatening to fall. "I'm sorry Miss Clements, I should join the rest of my year in the hall." Turning around before Miss Clements could say anything, I basically ran out of the classroom, emotions already filling what was left of the insides of my lungs.