Chapter 7: Reagan's Day

"I said no!" Catherine yelled angrily

"Please. I really need the money. I have to pay my rent or else I will end up in the streets," Reagan begged.

"And why should I care about that?" Catherine crossed her arms on her chest.

Reagan bowed her head. Her warm tears were flowing down her cheeks. "I beg you. I have no one else to help me," she looked up to Catherine. "I promise I will work harder. I will pay you with my work. Please."

"Reagan, you are irking me so fucking early in the morning. Get out before I fire you," Catherine said, cocking an eyebrow.

"Please -"

"Get the fuck out!" Catherine yelled her lungs out, her wrinkles appearing as she cut off Reagan.

Reagan gulped hard. She sobbed as she made her way out of Catherine's office and went directly to the locker room.

Reagan needed to breathe. She sat on the bench, placing her palms on her small face, trying to conceal her sobs. She had no other options.

Dylan Edris came to her mind once, but Reagan shook the idea off. She did not want him to think that she was imposing on him. And given Dylan's opinions about her, she thought borrowing money from him would only make things worse.

Reagan then took her cellphone out of her pocket and dialled Ann. She was her last resort. But Ann was out of reach.

Reagan stared at her phone for a moment and then heaved a deep sigh, stabilizing her breaths. It will be fine, Reagan, she thought to herself.

Rather than sulking in the corner, she chose to stand and go back to work. She tried her best to lift up her positive vibes and sincerely hoped everything will be alright.

*****

The mop was unusually streaky. Reagan had a hard time cleaning off the marks on the floor. The store was crowded as well, making the job a lot tougher.

Without her noticing, a kid who was running around the store dropped an icing on the floor. Reagan accidentally stepped on that icing and slipped. Her legs tried to maintain balance but failed to do so. As she was about to land, her eyes grew bigger as she saw her hands involuntarily whished a glass of coffee - in the hands of a lady customer - and spewed the hot drink on the customer's body. Reagan landed hard on the floor, scarring her knee.