Chapter 1

As I was finishing applying the bold lipstick onto my lips, I hear a loud knock on my bedroom door.

"Yes?" I ask, shoving things into my purse.

"Five minutes! Girl you been taking forever." Heath replied with his head cracked into my door. I had moved in with my cousin Heath just a couple months back. I am blessed to be living with him as I am not on good terms with my primary family.

Living in Los Angelos is an excited idea to some. To me, it's just another place to stay. Rather than going out and exploring the new activities and views around, most of the time I am cooped up in room with the lights off.

Heath has been inviting me to go out to his so called "best party of the summer" for the past month now. As I have been denying his offer each time, I finally decided to take his word and try something new.

I slip my purse over my shoulder and take a long look at myself in the mirror. Looking down at my tall heels, with the short red dress with long arm sleeves.

Sleeves are a must.

Jesus Rose, what are you getting yourself into? I thought to myself. Dressing like this is quite rare for me.

"Okay, I'm ready!" I yell, closing the door behind me and attempting to walk quickly down the stairs in my heels.

Heath locks the front door behind me, giving me a slight smile and his hand on my shoulder. I look back up at him, giving his the most realistic looking fake smile.

"You sure you're ready to go out. You really don't have to if you don't.." I cut him off.

"I want to go! I do, really, Heath. It might be good for me to start going out, you know?" He nods, agreeing. We approach the car that holds an awaiting Zane in the drivers seat, who was obnoxiously honking.

"Y'all babies ready to get fucked up?" Zane asks, already reversing out of the driveway. I let out a small giggle. Zane and Heath always knew how to put a smile on my face. Those two had been best friends since either of them could remember. They are the only ones who know about my rough past, as honestly they're the only two people I know here in Los Angelos.

"Maybe I'll just sit back and babysit." I reply to Zane. Heath looks back at me rolling his eyes.

"Oh come on girl. You're 21st birthday will be coming up shortly and you still haven't even felt tipsy before. Or took a hit of that devil's lettuce. Girl when are you gonna start living?" Heath joked around, but also being serious at the same time.

"Maybe one day. But til that day comes I shall remain a virgin to any kind of drug or alcohol." I rolled my eyes, as Zane turned up the music. The two screamed out lyrics to old throwbacks as we made our way to the party.

I look down at my fingers that had not stopped moving for the past 2 minutes. If being honest, I feel nervous. I have butterflies in my stomach, but each time I try to ignore it, it becomes worse.

Zane parallel parks outside of a long driveway leading to the most beautiful house I had seen in this area.

"Wow." I whisper under my breath, shutting the car door behind me. Zane and Heath began to walk quickly towards the place without hesitation, following with me trying to catch up.

"Come on bitches it's already 10pm, we late!" Heath said in his joking voice, slowing down for me to walk in with him side by side.

We enter the house of loud music playing, filled with dancing bodies in one area, with a kitchen turned into a bar, and many chairs contained of people socializing.

"There's some people we want you to meet!" Zane yells to me, grabbing my hand to lead my though the pack of people dancing. We enter the kitchen, seeing many people excited to see Zane and Heath's presence. As they greet them with joy, I stand behind quietly, looking down at my heels.

"Rose!" Heath pulls me over. "This is Gabbie, Todd, Carly, Alex, Scotty, Corinna, and David." He introduces me to the new group of people.

I say hello to everyone politely, trying to put on a smile on my face. As I go to greet the last two people, I stop and decide not to as the blonde girl and brown haired boy are in deep make-out.

"Shots!" The boy Todd yells out to his friends, passing the full shot glasses of vodka around to the group. They clink their cups in the air, throw the drink back, and all make sour faces after, some laughing at others.

As I look around, slightly smiling at the group of friends having fun, I meet eyes with a pair of deep dark brown ones.

The boy stares back for a good few seconds, a bit longer than a usual stare. He whispers something in Corinna's ear, moving her off of his lap and begin to approach me. As I see his sudden action, I nervously look down to find myself fidgeting with my fingers once again.

"David." The boy introduces himself, leaning his hand out to shake.

"Rose." I shake his hand back. His touch sends tingles all the way up my arm. Before any other conversation could be made, Alex turns the attention towards himself.

"Dance floor lets go everyone!" He screams, and everyone begins making their way towards the filled living room. Everyone exits the kitchen, leaving just David and I.

"Well what are we waiting for?" He asks, quickly grabbing my wrist. Instantly my wrist begins to sting with pain, leading to me snatching it away quite aggressively. I bite my lip, trying not to make it obvious that he had just hurt me.

"I'm actually gonna.. I'm gonna go get a water." I say, not looking him in the eyes and walking away quickly as possible. Instead of making my way back to the kitchen I head straight towards the bathroom.

Locking the door behind me, I pull up my sleeve and look at now the bloody mess due to my cuts being split back open.

Fuck. I think, as I begin to rinse water onto my wrist. I bite my lip and close my eyes, although, this is nothing compared to the pain I've felt before. At least my dress is red.

Pulling down my sleeve and exiting the bathroom, instead of going to enjoy myself with dancing, I decide to get some fresh air. I make my way out of the front door, relieved at the non sweaty smell. I walk a bit ways down the driveway, until I bump into someone harshly in the shoulder.

"You got something to say?" The bigger girl slurred as her friends laughed behind her. I try to walk past the obviously drunk girl, but instantly am grabbed by the shoulder and swung around.

"I said, you got something to say?" She approached closer to my face. My breathing picked up, I was speechless. Before anything escapes my lips, the girl's fist meets my eye within a second, sending me right to the ground.

"That's what I thought, you piece of shit." She spat. Ouch. Those words stung more than anything. The 3 girls enter the house as if nothing had just happened, leaving me on the ground with a black eye already forming. I pull out my phone and sent Heath a text, knowing he won't be looking at his phone anytime soon.

"I'm ubering home. Don't worry."