Chapter Three

"I haven't seen you at lunch recently," Juliet said as we walked down the empty hallway side-by-side. "Did you find a new place to sit?"

It was reaching the end of the week, meaning my lunch detention sentence was almost over. I hadn't seen much of Harrison outside the one class we shared, and even then, we didn't speak much. Sure, he wasn't acting like I'd punched him in the face, but there was still something shady about the way he carried himself around me – like he was planning something. He wasn't going to jump into it right away. No, he was going to keep me hanging for a while, allowing the bitter anticipation to eat away at me. That was just how he functioned.

"Oh, did I forget to tell you?" I mused, trying to sound lighthearted despite myself. "I've had a whopping week's worth of lunch detention for punching Harrison."

Juliet giggled, looking up at me through glittery blue eyes. "How alliterative," she replied, remarking not on the punishment I received from decking my best friend, but on how I phrased my sentence. She always said things like that in this type of situation, anything she could do to lighten the mood.

"Did you not hear me?" I asked incredulously, speaking through laughter. "I've had lunch detention for the past three days. That doesn't bother you?"

She merely shrugged, swinging her legs as she walked like she was on a tightrope and pointing her toes like a ballerina.

"Well, no," answered Juliet, giving me a surprisingly serious response.

"And why's that?" I ventured to ask next, smiling in amusement at the thought of what her explanation might be.

"Well, the fact that you punched your very best friend must mean you had the very best reason for doing so. And I think that if the reason is noble, then the act might not be so bad." She paused, thinking over what she said for a moment. "Unless it's, you know, murder or rape or something. Those are just always bad."

I chuckled, nodding in agreement. "Well, I think that your reasoning is quite solid, and I appreciate your support."

I leaned away so I could get a better look at her as we walked with no particular destination in mind. Her features were soft and youthful, constantly gracing her with the appearance of happiness. Everything about her emitted an aura of warmth and joy. Juliet gazed back up at me, squinting her eyes and giggling still.

"Always, Dash," Juliet replied, nudging my shoulder. "Always."

Her response took me by surprise but warmed my insides nonetheless. It wasn't something I heard very often, nor was it something I thought I deserved. Hearing it from my mom or Harrison wouldn't have been as touching, since they knew what I was really like and were obligated, as mother and best friend, to be on my side – though Harrison's loyalty was now in question.

But with Juliet, I felt guilty. She glorified me as some kind, giant teddy bear, and I didn't tell her otherwise. I liked my role as her teddy bear. God, I couldn't believe I processed that as a sane, coherent thought. If Harrison ever heard me say that, he'd beat me to a pulp.

I didn't have feelings for Juliet. Nothing beyond platonic or brotherly, that is. I looked out for her and enjoyed my time with her, but I was not at all interested in starting anything romantic with her. Not only was Harrison's one-night-stand suggestion cruel and demeaning, but it would ruin our friendship. If I didn't have Juliet as a friend, I would revert to my old ways, which, if possible, were much worse than my current ways.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" she asked me, breaking the long lapse of comfortable silence that had settled between us. I had always hated silence, but with her, it felt natural and relaxed. Same with walking. We weren't going anywhere or doing anything, but it didn't feel pointless.