Part Four

It hurt looking at the front door and seeing it as an enemy. It had always been welcoming. But now, as Saeran stood in front of his house, every fiber in his being dreaded the look of the wooden door. MC, behind him, was breathing fast. Saeran put on a brave face and pushed the door open, stepping inside.

The two had rushed to the house as soon as they'd hear V's call, panicking. MC's mind was still fresh with the shock of his past- the poor kid couldn't catch a break. But the whole way there, all Saeran could think was Saeyoung. SaeyoungSaeyoungSaeyoung. Please be okay.

V was not a merciful man. Especially in the past year, his soul had grown darker and more corrupt. Saeran couldn't help but fear for his brother's life. V wasn't messing around. Not now.

Inside the house, it was dark. They entered through the living room, crossed into the kitchen, moving slowly and silently, and then to the left, where the basement door was open. Saeran steeled himself, pausing only to reach behind him and wrap his fingers around MC's small wrist. He carried a taser in his belt buckle- who knew what would aggravate V, so he kept it small.

Under his feet, the stairs creaked, and Saeran could see the glow of his monitors in the dark room. He and MC descended, finding themselves in the room Saeran had spent so many hours, checking stats on the game, fixing bugs, even checking in on players.

But now, the sunny smiles of the players were gone and the basement felt claustrophobic. V was standing, back turned, hands clasped behind his back. Saeran noticed Rika sitting in his office chair, spinning slowly and aimlessly. She wouldn't meet his gaze- her eyes looked blank.

"Where's Saeyoung," he growled, pushing MC behind him.

V didn't turn. He didn't speak for a few moments, then began in a low voice. "What would you say... If I told you I'm building a paradise."

Saeran glanced back at MC, exchanging worried glances. They didn't answer.

V tilted his head to the side, light from the computers shining through his teal hair. "It wasn't rhetorical, Mr. Choi. What would you think, what would you do if I told you I was creating a place where everyone could be happy. Where no one would die because of Regressive Floral Asphyxiation, no one would suffer from heartbreak or loss... What would you say?"

"I'd say you were crazy," Saeran suggested.

"Who said I'm not?" V snapped back quickly. He turned to look at Rika. Her eyes were glassy and they wandered over the floor, never lingering on a specific spot. Saeran felt a cold shiver go down his spine when she passed over his shoes. MC, behind him, pressed closer to Saeran's back. His breath was warm.

"Where's Saeyoung?" Saeran repeated, stepping forward.

V finally turned and Saeran and MC recoiled, shocked. Through the dim light of the computers, Saeran could clearly see the dark bruises on the sides of V's face. The dark marks trailed down to his neck, then down further. V's shirt was unbuttoned and Saeran grimaced, realizing what the bruises were. Handprints.

Deep, discolored fingers splayed across V's chest and across his jaw, perfectly outlined. V stared over Saeran's shoulder and made eye contact with MC, pressing a hand self-consciously to his jaw. MC thought he knew what had happened, but that was impossible. How could he have...?

"I guess we know that there are different kinds of love out there," V said sourly. "And you've left your love on my skin."

Saeran lunged forward, seething. "He doesn't love you!" He yelled, throwing himself at V. But the man simply pulled a gun out of his waistband behind him and aimed it to his left. Saeran froze, spinning to look at the target. Hidden in the shadows, blindfolded and gagged, stood Saeyoung.