1 ♡

Alani

"The truth is, unless you let go, unless you forgive yourself, unless you realize that the situation is over, you cannot move forward."

I read the quote over and over again that was sent by Christina, my sister. It's been a few months since my father had passed away from illness and it took a toll on my family.

Especially my mother, she took it harder than all of us.

Her and my father truly loved each other, they always thought they'd grow old together. Well I guess that didn't happen, huh? Now my mom is trying to get back into being her old self after months and months of depression and no sleep.

My thoughts were interrupted once I heard Christina's voice. "You all packed up?" She asked, we innocent eyes facing mines as soon as I turn around.

"Yeah, you packed up also?" I asked back. She nodded and gave me a small smile. We were going to our childhood friends for the summer, a way to clear our minds from the recent events that occurred so far earlier this year. Mom did recommend it for the both of us, so we agreed on it.

Terrence Cooper and his step brother, Malcolm Young are, well were my friends that I mainly grew up with until the 7th grade when them and their family left Denver due to the death of their baby brother caused by drowning in the bathtub. It still remains a mystery on how that happened, but some townspeople think that Terrence and Malcolm were the ones that drowned their brother.

Now, they both reside in California, the state everyone wants to be at. I snapped out of my thoughts when Christina called me. "Come on Lani, let's go!" She said already her suitcases and bags by her side.

I laughed. "Okay, damn. Someone's in a rush."

"Well sorry. It's just, we haven't seen Terrence and Malcolm in so long and- and I just miss them." She exclaimed with joy. We finally left out our house but before we got to the car, our mother called us.

"Girls wait!" She said as she ran towards us and hugged us tightly.

"I'll miss you both so much, my day ones." She sniffled as she pulled away.

"We're gonna be alright mama, I'll make sure of that." I smile sadly at her while saying my final goodbyes along with Christina. We both get into the car and I start the ignition with Christina turning the radio on. It plays one of Michael Jackson's iconic songs, 'The Way You Make Me Feel."

Michael's voice booms through the speakers as I turn around to see my mom waving one last time with tears running down her face. I sigh in regret knowing how much she needs us right now but wants us to be truly happy once again. I pull out of the driveway making sure I don't damage anything. Christina blows mama a kiss attempting to cheer her up. She smiles at us one last time before we finally pull out of the driveway and begin our trip.

California, here we come....

I hope y'all enjoy this chapter! Sam is gonna most likely update the next since were collating on this book. We'll try to update every week for y'all! Thanks for the support and keep reading!

~ Brejaneh. 🍒