Mega Mouth

1:10 AM

He didn't know what it was, whether it be a nightmare or the claps of thunder outside, but Flint found himself staring up at the ceiling fan and watching it spin in a drunken circle. After trying for an hour and a half to fall back asleep and failing, he climbed out of bed and tiptoed downstairs to the living room where he found his closest friend, Manny, lounging on the couch and watching Jaws 3-D. The cameraman glanced up, "Oh! Hey! Something troubling you?"

"Yeah... I don't know what it is but, as hard as I try, I just can't sleep. What... are YOU doing up at an ungodly hour...?"

"The storm woke me, so I decided to stay up till it passed and watch a movie. Want some?"

Manny slid a bowl of caramel popcorn over to Flint, who shrugged and took a handful. As they watched, a scene took place that triggered something in the back of his mind and he shuddered.

 As they watched, a scene took place that triggered something in the back of his mind and he shuddered

"Hey, Manny? It's not possible for a shark that big to exist

"Hey, Manny? It's not possible for a shark that big to exist... right...?"

"It's very rare for one to get that big, but yes it is. There was actually a shark that could grow much larger than that many years ago. It went by the name of Megalodon, or Mega Mouth in Latin."

"How big could it get?"

"Seventy to one hundred feet long and over 50 tons. Probably a bite radius of fifteen feet," Manny answered while keeping his eyes on the screen. "Forget about being ripped in half. You'd be eaten alive."

"What caused it to go extinct?"

"That's the problem, Flint. The climate hasn't changed THAT much over the past two and a half million years and, though scientists have found several fossils of the shark, we don't know for sure that it went extinct. It could still be out there somewhere. Far below the surface, and we wouldn't know about it until it attacks."