Chapter 3: Jake

The school wasn't that bad. As long as you avoid the so called rednecks who whistle at any girl who dares to pass by. And as long as you steer clear of the cheerleaders and their on- and- off jock boyfriends who look at you like they're saying "I'm better than you." If you can do that, and not get lost, you're doing ok. Looking around, I could see they took pride in their sports as much as they do their marching band and choir. Those were the groups I was in. Marching band and choir. Seemed like a death wish to me at first until I realized that most of the kids in the school were involved in the marching band and choir.

So basically I had sucessfully avoided the people that were on my list to avoid, up until sixth period Geometry. I was sitting in the seat near the back reading "A Tale of Two Cities" when she came up. It took me a couple minutes to realize that she was standing in front of me.

The best way I can describe her in a whole is a Barbie doll. She had straight, bleach blonde hair, blue eyes, and dark skin that looked almost dark orange. She had her arms crossed and was looking at me expectanly.

"What?" I asked. She smiled a sweet, and fake smile and said, "Oh nothing, except you're sitting in my seat." I looked at her and said, "I don't see your name on it." If looks could kill, I would have been dead the second I opened my mouth. She pursed her lips. "I'm not sitting I the front." To avoid a fight, I got up and said, "Fine, you can sit here." With that, I got up and walked up to a seat in the front, with her staring knives into my back. I sat down at a desk next to a window and continued to read. After a while I heard a soft voice next to me.

"You shouldn't have taken that from her." I looked over to see a guy sitting next to me. He had raven black hair and pale white skin. His eyes were an unusual dark grey with speckles of gold mixed in. He had a black long sleeve shirt, with jeans and work boots that were stained with dried wiped off mud. He looked like some weird combination between a cowboy and a rock star.

"It's nothing compared to what I get at home. Don't worry about it." I said. And it was true. My mom would say worse whenever she was drunk or high.He have me a sad look and said, "It's still worth taking that from somebody. Even if it's somebody you know." I looked at him surprised, but it didn't last long. It was most likely a lucky guess on his part. I mean most kids now a days have the same issues with their parents as I do, but something about the way he said it made it seem like he knew exactly what I was talking about.

"So, I heard that you're new here. Marcy Rosebern?" I nodded. "Nice to meet you, Marcy. I'm Jake Mayer." He held out his hand and I shook it. By that time, the class had started. As the teacher drones on, I had a feeling that I was being watched. I would look over, sure that Jake was the one watching me, but whenever I looked he would be facing the front. It was a weir sensation, being watched. If I had know what I was getting myself into in that moment, I probably would have done the same thing.