Chapter One: A Gang of Bears

Trixie sat by the phone, knuckles tucked neatly under her chin as she squinted at the spidery crack in the drywall on the opposite side of the living room. Her glasses slid down the bridge of her nose and she huffed impatiently, uncrossing her legs and giving the telephone an unhappy scowl. Finally, she snatched it from its cradle and dialed the familiar number before pressing it to her ear and scratching her elbow with her opposite hand as she waited for the voice on the other end.

"Oh, hi, sweetie! I was starting to worry you wouldn't pick up, " Trixie chirped, affectionate scolding creeping into her voice. Her face lit up and she leaned forward in the easy chair, resting her elbows on her knees.

"I'm wonderful, baby. Missing you always. How was your day?

"I know, I know, of course. Well, the weather's been lovely here. You really oughta come visit sometime soon.

"Oh, I don't think so. Not at all!

"Well, how are women of my age supposed to spend their time?

"A hobby? I've got my book club. And I-

"Lonely? No, honey, I've got you!

"Well, sure, but it's because-

"A roommate?"

Trixie went quiet, tilting her head thoughtfully to the side. She hummed, sitting back in her chair and crossing her right leg over her left.

"I suppose...But I'm not sure I'd like a stranger living in my house.

"Really? Online? Oh, dear, but you know how I am with the internets...

"You're sweet! Well, if you're willing to go to all that trouble I can't really say no, now can I?

"Oh, shush. Now, I want it to be another lady. My age. I don't want any strange men lurking around."

Trixie laughed, shaking her head.

"Absolutely not, you goose! A lady. And...no tattoos. Is there a section for that? No? Goodness. I'll just have to cross my fingers, then,"

She tutted, uncrossing her legs and leaning forward.

"And you're sure this is safe? Is there anywhere you can check 'No murderers, please?' Are you sure? Pinky promise? Oh, I do not!

"Is that all? They'll just call me? Gracious, it almost seems too simple. Well, I suppose I haven't got much to lose. Thank you, sweetie.

"Now, before you hang up have you found yourself a g-"

Trixie sighed as the other line went dead. She tucked the phone back into its cradle and slouched back into the easy chair, massaging the furrow between her brows. A roommate. Like she was back in college. This could be fun.

____________________________________________________________________________

"....And here's the kitchen! I cleared out a couple shelves for you up here," Trixie rambled as she opened the cabinets to show her guest, suddenly self conscious of the peeling pink paint that coated them. She should have done more to straighten up before the other woman arrived. "Do you want help carrying your stuff in?"

Her guest, a wiry woman about her age clad in cargo pants and a paint-splattered t-shirt, had already helped herself to a glass of water and was perched on the kitchen island, legs swinging. She shook her head. "Nah. I haven't got much. Sold most of it before I left."

"Oh! From Boston? It must be so exciting to live in a city like that."

The woman smiled and swept the length of her blond hair, frizzy and tangled at the ends, over her shoulder. "Kinda. Dangerous, though. My old neighborhood had an awful gang problem."

Trixie went white. "Gangs? How scary!"

"Yeah. Anything to be scared of in Wisconsin?"

"Not really....Corn, maybe? The occasional bad weather. Bears."

"Bears?!" the woman yelped, sliding from her perch to put her empty water glass in the sink. "I should head back to Boston right now."

"Oh, but you've only just arrived K-" Trixie stumbled over the woman's name.

"Katya. It's easy."

"Kaaaat-yuh." Trixie repeated, over enunciating. "How exotic."

Katya snorted, resting her hands on her hips as she scanned the kitchen. "Anyway. I'd take gangs over bears any day."

"What about a gang of bears?" prodded Trixie, grinning gleefully. "Why'd you move here anyway? Doesn't make much sense."

"I dunno...I guess I just needed room to grow, y'know? Face my fear of bears."

Trixie laughed at that, taking Katya's glass from the sink and putting it into the dishwasher. "I can understand. I've lived around here my whole life and even Wisconsin with all its plains and sky has started to feel small."

"Must be time to broaden your horizons, then," murmured Katya, her head tilted curiously as she turned her attention to the aproned woman in front of her. "Maybe I can help."