1

(Btw I don't really re-read my stories so if there are some mistakes, forgive me😭)

Hazel Langston

The next morning was a blur. My mind fuzzy from panicking. Would I like this new hospital? Were the doctors, nurses and surgeons nice? How would they treat me? I guess I have to find out.

I slung my purse over my shoulder and gripped my keys. My small heels clicked against the pavement as I walked to my car. I settled in comfortably and drove off.

Dr. Katherine Avery (yes, yes I did😂)

My hands ached from typing excessively. "Fifty-five resumes done, thirty more to go, and one confirmed." I breathed and slumped back in my chair.

I sipped my energy drink. Before continuing, I paused and went back to the one resume I confirmed.

"Hazel K. Langston." I read. I glanced up at the picture which was sent with the resume and stared deeply at it. She was cute, I won't deny.

As of on cue, a professionally-dressed woman walked through the glass hospital doors and walked up to the main desk, where I was sitting at.

"Hello, I'm here from UCLA Medical. They transferred me." She greeted me and smiled.

"Hello...........Ms. Langston?"

"Dr. Langston." She corrected.

"Right." I printed out her office number with miscellaneous information and handed it to her.

"Nurse Altman will be in there shortly to help you."

"Thank you." She scanned the papers. I watched her as she walked into the hallway to the right.

Hazel Langston

I kept right down the hallway 1A and stopped where I found an office with a note on the front that read my name. I used the key that came with the papers to open the door. As I walked in, I gazed at the room in awe. There was a pristine glass office table with a snow white office chair. Near the chair and table was a matte black 4-in-1 coffee machine with silver linings and additional various original paintings dancing on the walls— and don't even get me started on the size of the TV.

"Damn," I gasped. "They must make big bucks around here." I smiled, coming to the realization that I was probably going to be okay.

"Dr. Langston?"

My head whipped around fast as shit. "Yes?" I shakily said, regaining my posture.

The woman chucked. "Sorry, I did not mean to startle you."

"It's fine." I grinned.

"I'm your assistant, Nurse Altman, if you didn't know." She introduced herself. "Since you're new here, we decided to give you a patient that is not much work, but we care so much for him." The lady put her hands happily together. "Follow me." Nurse Altman about-faced, with me right behind her.

Nurse Altman and I make our way back to the front of the hospital, where the man I talked to earlier was still siting. He gave me real creepy vibes. On a scale from Chucky to Pennywise, he was around Kanye West. That exceeded the scale.

We turned another corner where we came to a very boyish-decorated room. We walked a little further in the room, and Nurse Altman pulled back the basketball curtain to reveal a man. A very fine man. His jawline was perfectly positioned with his plump, pink lips, while his dark semi-bushy eyebrows shadowed his open hazel eyes and made his hairline look perfectly in place.

Nurse Altman perceived me ogling the beautiful man. "I know. He is a sight isn't he?" Nurse Altman sighed and put her frail hands against her neck.

I smiled at her innocence. "Yeah. He's gorgeous." I chuckled.

"His name is Donald," she leaned close to me. "But he prefers Devante." She whispered before she leaned upright again.

"He's been in a coma since he was nineteen. That's four years." She stated. He must be 23.

"How did he lose consciousness?" I ask.

She looked at me seriously. "He was in the car with his believed-to-be-girlfriend, when the breaks stopped working. Long story short, the car crashed into a Quaker's truck. And you know it's bad because he's allergic to oatmeal." She sadly elucidated.

"Why have you kept him all this time?"

"For two reasons," she held up one finger. "One, because I promised him." She looked at the ceiling, as if she was having a flashback.

"Nurse Altman?" A nineteen year old Devante asked.

"Yes, De?"

"Am I gonna die?" He asked sadly.

Nurse Altman stroked his curly hair softly. "No sweetheart. You may be unconscious for a while, but you aren't gonna die. I'll make sure of it." She sadly smiled.

Devante seemed to gaze into her delicate soul. "You p-promise?" His voice began to fade.

"I promise."

Nurse Altman looked back at me again, her eyes a little sad. "I promised I would keep him alive before he slipped away."

I wanted to know more, but I didn't want to make her sadder than she already was.

"Two," She put another finger up. "He sees and hears everything." She grinned.

She turned around. "Don't you, Devante?" He blinked twice.

I gasped. "He blinked! How did he know?" I put my hand in front of my mouth.

"I told you, he hears and see everything. By the way, one blink is no, two blinks is yes. I also taught him how to smile and frown." She stroked his cheek.

I walked over to where Nurse Altman and Donald were, then sat down in the plush chair placed next to Donald's hospital bed. "Hi Donald. I'm your new doctor, Dr. Langston." I introduce myself.

"She's a beauty, isn't she De?" Nurse Altman questioned Donald. He repeatedly blinked at least ten times.

Nurse Altman laughed obnoxiously. I guess she noticed I didn't understand the joke. "He thinks you're gorgeous, Hazel."

I faintly blush. "Are you sure?"

She turned back to Donald.. "Do you think she's absolutely gorgeous?"

Donald blinked his eyes twice again.

I grin. "Well I think you're gorgeous too." I told him, although he didn't respond.

"Would you date her?" Nurse Altman smirked.

Donald started to blink, but quickly withdrew. He let out a small smile, which melted my heart.

Nurse Altman laughed. "He's shy."

I laughed in return.

"He only Can respond to yes-or-no questions." Nurse Altman informed me.

"Good to know." I nodded.

Nurse Altman moseyed ro the door, when she turned around. "Take good care of him. If you need me, fax me." She proceeded through the hallway.

I looked down at Donald. "Well, I guess it's just you and me."

Donald blinked twice and grinned.

_____________

How was chapter one? This is my first D. Swing fan fiction story so bear with me here😭. And by the way, Saweetie plays Hazel if you didn't know. Also, Donald doesn't stay in the coma the whole story so don't worry ;).
-Brejaneh