A Glimpse of the Past

_______________________________

Prologue: A glimpse of the past

"Wake up. I'm not waiting all day for you."

Time. It was a hard concept to grasp out here in space. Sometimes I didn't understand the multiple catch phrases Sihan would use. Day? What was day? It was a constant pitch black here. Nothing like the "day" I could recall from Sihans memories.

I stretched, lithe muscle rippling under fair skin. A mirror reflected directly across the room, showcasing an early rising Sihan. Except, that wasn't Sihan. That was me.

His dread. His apathy. His clone.

I looked just like him, as much as he hates it. Black messy hair. Blue striking eyes. A soft splattering of freckles across the nose, but it was barely noticeable unless you knew to look for it.

"Are you getting up or not?" I diverted my eyes from the mirror, to yet another mirror like image. Sihan. The real Sihan. Sihan Road.

"Okay," I said, preening a little under his gaze, trying to catch his approval. He only rolled his eyes in response, though.

"Hurry up and get dressed," he huffed, rather aggravated, "we're stopping at Perivahl to cash in on our last deal. I need you presentable to make this work, got it?"

I stared at him, blankly, before nodding excitedly in a childlike manner. He needs me? To make this work? I felt giddy with excitement from those words, even if they were a misinterpretation on my part.

But Sihan only deadpanned at my expression, tossing my flight jacket- well, no, his flight jacket- into my face. It was gray, littered with badges from Sihans time at the Intersolar Flight School. Sometimes I forget that those memories aren't my own.

"Get dressed," He hissed, breaking me out of my second long revery. He turned around, slamming the door to the barracks shut. He must be cranky today.

Just like he is everyday.

But he still loves me, right?

Of course.

_______________________________

The starship currently being flown between Sihan and I was tentatively called the Andromeda. Sihan says it's a nod to one of the most famous ships to ever exist, but no where in my memory span could I remember Sihan ever once learning that information.

It must be new.

The idea that Sihan knew something that I didn't made me a little sad. It just emphasized the idea, the truth, that I could never truly be him. I was just a copy, and a bad one at that.

I glanced up, the 1950s television that Sihan had recently bought was blaring with sound and color. Advertisements for the latest technological advancement played, showcasing a new drug that stopped the effects of time on your body.

Hmm...

The television stopped, bright colors quickly turning black. I glanced up to see Sihan leaning against the telly, finger resting on the "off" button. He looked mad.