Let's Talk Movies

I was doing my home work when I heard a familiar voice. "I'm home! Are you awake?", it called as heavy footsteps ascended the stairs. I jumped up, a feeling of joy rushing through me, I had so much to tell him! "Hey Dad!", I chirped as I bounded to where he was standing by the dresser, "Today in school, Maxwell said the funniest thing to the teacher!". I started rambling on about the banter between Maxwell and Mrs. Brack, "Anyway, it was so funny! She practically had.." my voice trailed off when I noticed my dad was reading something on his phone instead of listening. My heart dropped as he looked up, totally oblivious to what I was saying. "Oh,yeah,mhmm..", he replied, although it was obvious he didn't really want to talk. I slowly walked out of his room and back into my own.

................................

I stared at the plate of spaghetti my mom had just set before me. I hadn't talked to anyone all night, I was too busy thinking of topics to talk about during dinner. "So I was just thinking about Almost Famous in class today.", I said, settling for the usual topic of choice. My dad glanced up from his meal, "So you were thinking about movies instead of paying attention?", "Well..no, not exactly..", I said quietly, deciding to avoid the topic of school all together, as it always provoked an argument. I got lost in thought while my parents discussed the local news and politics. All of a sudden dinner was over and it was my turn to clean up. As I put the sauce covered plates into the dishwasher, I saw my dad walk into the room. I tried again, "Hey, you know what movie I want to see? I want to see Memento, I heard it was pretty good!"

He looked up, "Oh yeah?"

"Yea, I love psychological thrillers!"

"Christipher Nolan seems to like those...Inception was a good one."

I smiled "Yea it was. Have you seen any of his other movies?"

I watched my dad's face light up as he told me about his favorite movies. I listened carefully as he told me what he likes to watch. I gave input and took in his reactions to see what opinions he agreed with.

As I wad going to bed that night, I smiled remembering all the good conversations my dad and I have had about movie, tv, and film. But, at the same time, there was a longing in my heart, a longing I couldn't put a finger on. My heart was empty, yet it felt love, and it felt this strange longing.

I was missing someone who was downstairs on the couch.

.......................

Authors note: Please leave feedback :) it is greatly appreciated!

Authors note