Welcome to Riften

I walked a few paces when I saw a forge. I always had an apt for Smithing, and using a forge was easier than using a sword. I walked up to the forge to see a man using it. I approached him. He asked me, "Hello, haven't seen you around here before. Are you a traveler looking for a nice sword?" I replied to him, "I just came into town and was looking for some way to earn gold. I saw a forge here so came to look if you'll be willing to hire me." I looked at the forge it barely burning. Yet he was still working with the forge. He had placed two swords on a table and was smithing another. "I would've, but this forge is dying and would be useless. Unless you know a way to make it better, I wouldn't be able to help you."

I was fairly good at Smithing. But I knew what I could do to make the forge efficient. "I know a way to improve the forge." He stopped forging a sword and looked at me. "Well if you can help me, I'll let you earn septims." I agreed and told him the way. "The secret is Fire Salts. They are hard to find but one fire salt could make your forge better than ever." He continued forging his sword. "Well I cannot give you any gold unless the Fire Salts work. But I'll pay you for the Salts and a 100 septims if the Fire Salts work." I had only 25 gold on me and I had to find a way to get Fire Salts. I didn't even have enough to buy a set of clothes and shoes. I was wearing my torn clothes from Helgen. I started to walk away when I saw someone crossing the bridge.

I wasn't that rich as a child and during times when my mother and I had nothing to eat, I would steal septims from some of the travelers or the guards. I walked up to him and slid my hand in his pouch. I pulled the gold he had and stopped. I turned back around without him noticing. I checked my hand to see the gold I had fished and it was 75 septims. I went back to the smith and asked where I could buy Fire Salts. "Fire Salts can be bought at any alchemist, so you should check Arcadia's Cauldron in Whiterun."

I started to run towards Whiterun. I didn't have a horse with me so that was my only choice. On reaching Whiterun, I saw a man sitting on a horse carriage. He offered a ride to Riften for 30 septims. I could've gone there right now, but I didn't want the forge to die. I entered Whiterun and headed straight to Arcadia's Cauldron. I bought a Fire Salt, which cost me 100 septims. I hope it was worth it as I didn't have any more gold with me. I left back for Riverwood where I met the smith. Here you go. He stopped forging a sword and I dropped the Fire Salts in the forge. The forge started to glow dark orange as I started to feel the warmth of the forge. He then gave me 200 septims for the Fire Salts.

"So why do you keep making swords?" I asked him. He then replied, "the guards from Helgen said we need stronger swords in case a dragon attacks. With the Fire Salt, the swords will be of higher quality." He handed me a few Steel Ingots too. "Here you go, with a few Leather Strips, you will be able to make yourself weapons. You seem like you may not have any." I took the Steel Ingots and headed back to Whiterun. I had killed a wolf on my way to Whiterun, so I could use it for Leather and Leather Strips. I reached Whiterun again where I asked the lady working there.

"Could I use the forge and the tanning rack?" I asked her. She finished fixing a dagger and stood by a corner. "I went up to the tanning rack and then I used the forge. I forged myself a Steel Dagger. It was time for me to go to Riften. I first bought some clothes from Belethor's General Goods and then met with the horse carriage rider. He agreed to take me to Whiterun for 30 gold and I hopped on.

I reached Riften a day later. On reaching Riften, I met a guard who demanded a visitor's tax. "This is obviously a shakedown" I replied him which silenced him. He had no choice and let me inside. On going inside I was confronted by a man. He called up to him. "Hey you, you looking for trouble?" I just replied to him, "What's it to you", and just walked away. I was supposed to meet the mysterious man in Bee and the Barb. I entered Bee and the Barb when I saw someone sitting by a table drinking ale. I asked if he wanted to meet me when he turned. It was the same traveller I met in Riverwood. "So you're here, finally took you long enough. I'm Brynjolf, welcome to Riften." I was shocked to see him.