Her

I rolled over to the right side of my king sized bed and groaned as my annoying alarm rang. I pressed the snooze button, threw on a black sweater with leggings, and dragged my lazy butt down the stairs.

"Morning." Alan mumbled as he ate his lucky charms. He looked me up and down and saw my messy hair and tired eyes.

"How're you handling your break-up with Allyssa?"

Glaring at him, I sarcastically replied,"I'm totally fine. It's not like she dumped me for another dude a few days before Valentine's Day."

"Oook dude, I was just checking."

I grabbed some toast and lugged myself back to my room to get changed and tame my hair for work. Instagram money is good, but my mom insisted that I get a job so I don't "forget what hard work is". Oh well, at least it will distract me from Allyssa.

I changed into my target shirt and black pants, grabbed my phone, and left the house. Alan was still in his pj's, which is really unfair because he works at a restaurant at night. Lucky bastard.

Driving to work, I noticed a "sold" sign by a moderately sized house on Oak Street. I came to a stop sign and had the chance to glance over at a young woman moving some boxes from her white car into the grey house. When she turned around, butterflies fluttered around in my stomach. She was wearing a white t-shirt and her brown hair with blonde highlights was tied into an Ariana Grande style ponytail. She had the greenest-bluest-brownish eyes I've ever seen in my life. But then, a honk from a car behind me and a yell snapped me out of my trance. I slammed on the gas and tried my best to focus on the road, but inside I was wondering if I would ever see her again. It's insane; I don't even know her name but it feels like I've known her forever. Maybe I'm just sad about Ally, and I'm trying to find a rebound. I have no idea.

I'm stationed at counter 12, the very last checkout hidden behind the fresh produce section. I used to work at counter 3, but I got noticed by too many fans and it stalled lines and made a commotion. Boss moved me to counter 12 so I wouldn't be ambushed as much. I actually like it back here; it's quiet and mostly old people come back here. I get to spend most of my time sitting down in my chair or browsing through my phone liking fan's posts.

A couple of hours later, in the middle of a very intense round of piano tiles, a voice interrupted,"Ahem."

I looked up and saw the same round face from Oak Street.

"Hello- o-oh I'm sorry." I stuttered and stood up and helped her with her groceries.

She smiled and showed her perfect pearl teeth. I realized that I was staring and started to ring her up.

"That'll be $33.47." I tried my best not to seem like a dweeb.

She swiped her credit card and gathered her bags. I realized that she had like 4 bags, and I was about to go on break.

"Hey, I can help you with your bags." I offered.

She replied,"Sure! Thanks.." -she glanced at my name tag- "..Alex,"

"No problem!" I was secretly celebrating with a dance inside.

When I was finished helping her load her stuff into her car, I asked her what her name was.

"It's Hailey." She gave a small smile and looked at the ground.

"I'm Alex, as you already know." And I pointed at my name tag.

"Well.. I'd better go. It was nice meeting you Alex." She nodded slightly and got into her car.

I stood there and watched her pull out and drive away, and slowly processed what happened. Did I just talk to the prettiest girl ever?!

≫ To be continued ≪
♥︎