82nd Hunger Games

chapter one

The moment those words tumble out of Elkie’s mouth my heart plummets right down to my feet. All around me the crowd is silent, the only sound I can hear being the hum of the microphone and my own blood pumping around my body at an alarming rate. This can’t be real. I inhale sharply and look around to see everyone looking at me.

“Come on dear” Elkies’s high pitched voice rings out in the silence. My feet start moving, walking me towards the side of the group and into the arms of 4 peace keepers. They lead me towards the steps leading up to the stage, where Effie is standing, all dolled up in a ridiculous pink dress and awful matching make-up. In the distance I hear my mother screaming my name and I fight the urge to turn around. I can’t, because if I do as soon as I see her face I will shatter. The peace keepers stop at the bottom of the steps and stand aside so I can walk through them. I look up to see Elkie standing holding her arm out, motioning me to come up.

I walk up the steps, every one sending my heart rate beating faster. I reach the top and Elkie’s hand snakes around my waist, pulling me up to the microphone stand. I look out at the whole of District 6 stretched out in front of me, taking in as many faces as I can remember because for all I know this is probably the last time I see anyone. I spot my mother standing at the back, crying in the arms of our neighbour, Pattie. I immediately look away, down at my feet.

“Give it up for our district 6 girl tribute, Bailey Fawcett.” Elkie says, as I sneak a peek up at the crowd. They all stand looking, not one claps. Figures. No one from District 6 ever wins. One winner, 9 years back. I gulp and focus my eyes on the horizon in front of me, to the forest and the deep valleys which I had so often found comfort in.

“Now time for our Boy” Effie says, leaving my side and crossing over to the large glass ball containing all the names of the boys aged 12-18 from district 6. There is a few minutes silence as she selects a piece of folded up paper and crosses back over to the microphone. She clears her throat before speaking the name.

“Flinn Fawcett” I can’t stop the noise that comes out of my mouth. It’s somewhat of a scream and a gasp. Oh my god. This has to be a nightmare. My hands start shaking uncontrollably as I look at the ground. I hear my mother crying out again. This is not right. They cannot put two of the same family in together. Especially twins. I look up as he walks up the steps and onto the stage. His face is as distraught as me. Elkie looks confused and has a bewildered look on her face as Flinn walks over to me and hugs me tightly.

“Please tell me this isn’t real” I whisper into his ear, my stomach in knots. Elkie pulls us apart slowly and turns us to face the whole district. I look through the crowds of faces, every one of them shocked into silence. My mother is escorted away because she is now hysterical.

“Give it up for our district 6 tributes, Bailey and Flinn Fawcett” Elkie addresses us, but even her voice is wobbly and uncertain, noting the same second name between us. There isn’t a flicker from the crowd and we are escorted into the justice building. Flinn takes my hand and holds on tightly. We are escorted into a room and the door shuts behind us. I listen to the bustle of feet outside, the dull hum of voices. Flinn lets go of my hand and takes a seat on the small purple velvet sofa. I walk over to the tiny window and lean my head on it, the cool glass somewhat of a comfort.

“Hey.. Bail” Flinn says softly and I turn around slowly to face him. “Come here” he pats the spot next to him and I walk over and sit down.

“They can’t do this right Flinn? They can’t put twins in together right?” I look up at his eyes but they look dull, lifeless and sad.

“Bail, I’m pretty sure they can” he sighs and I let the tears fall down my cheeks. He pulls me in and I bury my face in his shoulder, a sob escaping my mouth. The door opens and Elkie walks in with a man who I’ve ever seen before, but by the looks of his ridiculous outfit he is a capitol citizen. Flinn stands up, nudging me off his shoulder. Elkie clears her throat before speaking.

“This is Briar Balkin.” Elkie introduces the short man with dark, unruly curly hair. I lift my eyes up to him as he nods at me then Flinn.

“They can’t do this can they” I croak out. “They can’t put us both in?” I search his dark blue eyes.

“I’m sorry this has happened. But there is nothing we can do. The capitol rules that no matter what the connection between tributes, if they are reaped they go in the arena” my heart shatters and I find myself standing up and shouting in the man’s face. He looks shocked as I scream at him, tears falling down my cheeks.

“They can’t do this!” I scream as Flinn grabs my arms from behind and pulls me back.

“I’m sorry” the man says before fixing his tie and walking out of the room, followed by Elkie who shoots me an alarming look. I try to break free from Flinn’s arms but he has an iron grip on me. I start hitting him, crying and shouting but eventually I wear myself out and collapse into him. He envelopes me in a big hug and tries to soothe me, stroking my hair.

I’m going into the arena. To fight to the death, with my twin brother. And only one person survives.