Small Steps

God's POV:

A month passed and Emma doubted her chances of ever seeing Niall again. With a population like London’s her outlook was glum, until a surprise shopping trip with Natalie.

The crowds were horrendous. Everyone had flocked to Pacific Fair for last minute Christmas shopping. Natalie, in her festive shirt and leggings, had convinced Emma to accompany her at her work Christmas party. They were shopping for frocks.

“How about this one?” Natalie suggested and pulled a lacy frock off the hangers.

Emma groaned. “It’s pink! You know how much I hate pink.” Natalie let off a giggle and kept looking. No one quite understood why Emma was so unhappy of late, especially leading up to the festive season, everyone just assumed she was still mourning Lilly’s tragic passing. She hadn’t even told Natalie of Niall.

Emma went out of the shop and sat down on a cold metal bench outside the window. There were people busying about with not a care in the world. Tall people, short people, skinny people, fat people, blonde people, Irish people... Emma gasped. There, on the other side of the plaza, was Niall. There was no mistaking his gorgeous smile and twinkling blue eyes. He was walking with two other guys- one a bit taller with thick curly hair, and another not as pale with a big black quiff.

Emma rose to her feet abruptly, looked back at Natalie naively looking at frocks, and walked as fast as her skinny legs would take her towards Niall.

As she walked, she felt a tidal wave of emotions. She was dazed, out of breath, overjoyed, shocked, overwhelmed, but most of all just pleased to see him. And when she finally reached him, she was delighted to find the feeling was mutual.

“Emma!” Exclaimed Niall, who flashed another dazzling smile in her direction. “It’s so nice to see you again, I was hoping I could somehow make it up to you for what happened to your poor sister.”

The curly-haired stunner butted in. “I’m Harry, Harry Styles.” He held out his hand. Emma shook it. “Sorry about Niall, he never knows when to shut up.” Niall glared at Harry.  “As I was saying...” Niall began again but Zayn interrupted. “And I’m Zayn!” Niall glared even sterner at Zayn. She acknowledged Zayn, who looked confused, and then drew her attention back to Niall. “As I was saying, I would like to make it up to you so I was wondering if you wanted to join the lads and I for a few drinks on Friday night?”

Emma hesitated. She looked at the three boys eager faces and was tantalised by their gorgeous smiles, but then remembered she’d promised Natalie she would attend the work Christmas party.

“Thank you for offering, but I’m afraid I’ll have to decline on the basis that I already have plans for Friday.” Niall’s smile deflated. “Next Friday?” he suggested. Emma smirked, got out a scrap of paper from her hand bag and wrote her number down. At the end of the paper she put four little kisses. Niall took the paper quickly and put it in his back pocket. “We’ll see...” Emma said, turned around and walked confidently back to What The Frock where Natalie was waiting.

“Where have you been?”

“Just... talking to some friends.”

“You worry me sometimes, Em.”

Natalie smiled and picked up two large plastic bags that Emma had failed to notice sitting on the bench. “Let’s go back to my apartment and we’ll try this stuff on. Can’t wait til our party!”

Emma’s POV:

Nat’s apartment wasn’t very big nor was it very comfortable. Her father had passed away when she was just five and her mother had always struggled with financial difficulties. But I liked it because it made Nat happy. Happy she wasn’t one of those poor people living in poverty. That pretty much summed up Natalie- she had a heart of gold and always looked on the bright side of life.

After a quick cuppa she emptied the contents of the bags on the table. And boy was I in shock! There were two frocks- one crimson, one white- and they shone like stars with glitter. Besides those were two pairs of gold Prada pumps and two gold feather boas. I looked over at Nat and smiled. She knew me too well- I adore everything that’s glittery and gold. Almost knocking her off her feet, I gave Nat the biggest, most heart-felt hug I could possibly give.

We got changed into our outfits and strutted around the lounge room like we were Miranda Kerr. Nat in the crimson, looked like Miranda Kerr, she had always looked like a model. I just stood there in awe at her perfection and felt myself become very jealous. Luckily Natalie interrupted my trail of thought.

“So who were you talking to at the mall? I saw you talking to some mighty fit lads. Care to introduce me sometime?”

I felt my cheeks blush, I knew Natalie had wouldn’t accept anything but the complete truth. “Well...erm...you see... I don’t really know them. In fact two of them I only just met today. They were occupants of the minivan that killed my sister.” I felt a hot flush of anger and sat down. Natalie came over and put her arm around me. “I’m sorry to hear... but you’ve got to admit, they were gorgeous!”

“I guess they were.”

“So... which one are you going to make a move on?!”

“Natalie!” I gasped, “You aren’t meaning to tell me I can only make a move on one?!” Natalie burst into uncontrollable laughter. I love making her laugh.

“Of course you can only have one. The other two are mine!” We both burst out into laughter. It was the first time I had laughed since that horrible night.

“Well,” I began, “I think the blonde one is the epitome of perfect. Niall, his name is.”

“Well that’s a bit cute.” Natalie mocked.

“However, the curly-haired Harry is absolutely gorgeous too! But I guess I’ll leave him to you.”

“Ooh, how kind of you, Emma! I think I’m going to have to accept that offer.” She winked at me. Natalie had never been the type of girl to swoon over boys but she sure wasn’t going to let an opportunity like this pass.

“So when will you see them again?”

"I... I don’t know. I gave Niall my number so hopefully next Friday night.”

“Hooray!”

Natalie and I giggled the entire afternoon long discussing our future husbands.