Epilogue

EPILOGUE

JOHN'S POV

THREE YEARS LATER

John smiled as he watched his soulmate, wife and mother of his children hold their six-week-old daughter from where she perched in the beach chair under a huge, colorful umbrella planted firmly in the soft yellow sand. It had been a little over two years ago that they had officially tied the knot. Things were more perfect than they had ever been. The time that had lapsed between them had only brought them closer.

"Dad!"

John's gaze automatically drifted toward where Christopher was standing at the shoreline with a boogie board under one arm. The kid, now seven, was waiting on his dad to join him in the water. John jogged alongside his son as they splashed into the shallows, ready to body surf. He finally had the life he had strived for with the woman he had first imagined it with and a growing family.

After riding several small breakers, the pair went back up toward where Ella was smiling, their daughter asleep in a wicker bassinet beside her on the beach blanket.

"Are you two ready for sandwiches?"

And without waiting for a response, Ella handed both of her boys turkey sandwiches.

"How are my girls?"

"Just fine," Ella said, kissing him full on the mouth. "We couldn't be happier."

Gently, John lifted his daughter out of her bassinet, cradling her as he finished his sandwich while smiling at the bundle in his arms. Such a tiny thing and already she had him wrapped around her little finger. He smoothed the dark curls atop her head, but they sprang right back into place the instant his hand lifted. They had named her Elizabeth after Ella's mother, though they had already taken to calling her Lizzie. They had made Ryan and Renee the godparents of both their children.

Later they were going over to Elizabeth's house for supper. Ryan and Renee would be there with their rowdy rascals, too.

John felt blessed at the luck that had been tossed his way when Ella had decided to move back home to help her mother. They had fallen right back where they had left off. Though, to be honest, John had fallen harder than ever for her. All that time lost had only made the heart ache harder for her, and now she was his again. Along with a son and daughter. Life couldn't get any better than that.