Cinderella

Candice's POV

I rub the floor with the damp sudsy cloth as hard as I could, making sure the floor was immaculate. I wrung out the rag and stared at the shining tile floor, it was so clean I could see my reflection in it; it just the way I had been instructed to clean it, and finally I was done. I picked up the bucket of dirty water and turned to dump it out;when I heard the thump thump of a dog running followed by the click clack of heels making their way down the hallway. A muddy cocker-spaniel came bounding up to me, knocking me off my feet and sending the bucket of water flying from my hands. I pushed the dog off, wiping his muddy paw prints off my face, and looked around at the room. The sparkling room I just spent hours cleaning, was now decorated in muddy footprints and dirty water.

"Oops. I guess someone's going to have to scrub some more. That is after they clean up all that dirty water. What a mess." said Hilary with a smirk.

"That's not the only thing thats a mess, look at her." Lisa snorted, and they made their way to their rooms ,cackling.

Knock, Knock. I look at the time, 12:37, there could only be one person at the door. "Mail is here" I think and race to the door. The mailman hands me a few envelopes and nods his head, not even questioning my rough appearance. Then again, why should he? I'm always dirty and covered in something, thanks to Hilary and Lisa, I should be used to it by now too.

I look at the letters in my hand, all the same. Invitations to the ball that the kingdom is throwing. An invitation for Hilary, Lisa, (as expected) and....

Me?!?! That couldn't be right. I never got invited to anything, and when I did HIllary and Lisa always made sure I couldn't go. They'd sabotaged countless of my dresses and piled me with outrageous chores (But, was it really necessary to color-code their quills, ink, and parchment? It's not like they ever use them. They're more concerned with Prince Aaron then school work.)

Oh, how I wish I could go. Maybe, just maybe, they would let me this time and I would see Prince Aaron. I'd only ever seen him on the streets as he passed by on his carrage. He wasn't the best looking, but he still could make me swoon with just a glimpse. I would do anything to stare into his eyes and see him looking at me. Maybe if- No. Even if I did get to go to the ball I would never attract his attention. I was just a peasant girl, and he, he was a prince. But still, a girl could dream.

I walked to the family room where my mom (step-mom), Hilary, and Lisa are sitting, gossiping about some type of clothing material the neighbor's daughter was wearing yesterday. Typical.

I shyly walk up to mother and hand her the invitations. She smiles and hands them to her "pretty" daughters. Then frowns when she reaches my invitation. She quickly tears it in half and looks up at me.

"No."

Of course, I knew that's what would happen. I was foolish to think she woudl let me go. But the ball was tonight was the most important thing in the world to me, It was my chance to finally meet Prince Aaron, and there was nothing that could stop me from going to that ball.

~

I finished the last chore and ran up to my room. Looking out of my small window, I see that the ball is about to begin! I have to get dressed, I'm going to be late.

I open my small closet doors and realize I have nothing to wear. I close the door and slump down on my measly mattress I call a bed. Despair hits me hard and I struggle to breath. I was never going to get my happily ever after. A single tear rolled down my cheek.

I wipe away my tear and stifle a sob. I hear a chuckle outside my door. Cautiously, I look out the rickety old door. There stands a plump old woman in a blue gown.