chapter one

emma

today is my first day at my new job. i'm an intern at gilinsky inc. honestly, i'm very nervous because the last job I had didn't go too well. the only reason why i am working here at the age of 19 is simply because i want to go into modeling. and living in new york city isn't exactly cheap. also, i have to pay for name-brand clothing, promotions, and classes.

i snap out of my thoughts when i get a text. it's from my mom.

[mom] - good luck at your new job sweetie!
                remember, if you want to come back home
                to nebraska, just give us a call!

[emma] - will do!

why does she have to check on me every five seconds? i'm just trying to survive on my own. i am practically an adult now.

i decide to finally get up and ready. i put on my clothes, a pair of heels, and loosely curl my long brunette hair. i grab my phone, keys, and sunglasses before walking out the door.

i make a quick stop at starbucks to get a vanilla bean frappuccino before i head off to work. i pull up to be window and pay, not looking at the bartsia at first. when he hands my back my card i look up at him. holy shit. his jawline looks like it was carved from a fucking god. his hair is perfectly perfect. i bet he has abs. i look at his name tag. cameron. that's his name. i like it.

"um... miss?" he says trying to get my attention.

"huh?" i say coming back to reality.

"if you could pull up since there's a very long line, that would be helpful. thanks"

wow. rude.

i pull up and wait for my drink. cameron comes out with it and a receipt.

"sorry. i forgot to ask you to sign this" he says handing me the receipt. i take it and sign it and put my number there. i hand it back to him and take my drink. i speed off to my work.

i arrive at the 20 story building. i walk in and meet with the secretary. i think she said her name is chloé or something? idk she talks a lot.

"anyway, mr. gilinsky would like to see you in his office. it is on the 20th floor. first door to your right", she says with a smile.

i take the elevator and press the number 20. i wait quietly wondering what he already wants done. coffee? food? no, that seems too cliché. who knows.

the elevator dings and the doors open. i look out the window and the people look like little ants. wow, what a view.

i scurry to mr. gilinsky's office. i knock 3 times on his door.

"come in", i hear a low voice say.

"mr. gilinsky, chloé said you needed to see me?" i say.

"ah, yes. is that why it took you so long?" he says with a small smile.

"yes, she talks very much, sir."

"okay, i would like to ask if you'd be interested in being a personal assistant. my last assistant left due to her moving to london."

"of course, sir."

"it's okay if you call me jack, emma."

"okay, sir." i say. "i- i mean jack."

god i'm an idiot. i take a seat in one of the two chairs in front of his desk. he looks at me.

"oh, would you like anything? like food? it is almost lunch time" i say jumping out of my chair.

"i think i'm going to like you" jack says with a laugh.

well, i hope he does.

"i'll have a cold brew black coffee from starbucks," mr. gilinsky says.

"okay, i'll be right back with that mr. g- i mean jack," i say with a warm smile on my face.

i leave the room. that's weird. i felt like i was being eyed down by jack. huh, whatever. i take the elevator downstairs and i go into he cafeteria and ask for a cold brew black coffee.

"and here you are. tell mr. gilinsky i said hi!" the bartsia says.

i go up to his office and give him his coffee.

jack

emma is so sexy. ugh and that outfit she is wearing looks amazing on her. if only i could ri-

my thoughts are interrupted by her walking into the room with my coffee.

"thank you emma," i say with a smile.

she just smiles back and sits down.

"do you mind if you could look at these?" i say pushing the stack of job applications to her. "i need to work on business partnerships, if you don't mind."

"jack, you're the one who hired me," she says laughing.

"right."

"i'll get to it, do you have a pen?" she asks.

"yes i do."

i hand her a pen and she reads and circles ones that are worth looking at. i call johnson. i ask him about how things are going and what not.

-

i end the call and i look up to see emma staring at me. she smiling. she catches me and looks away blushing with a worried look on her face.

emma

i was staring at jack and he caught me. omg i'm so embarrassed. why does he have to be cute. ugh. whatever. i look at the time and it is almost 3:00, 2:47 to be exact. almost time to go home. jack looks at the time.

"you can leave. there's nothing left for you to do," he says with a smile. i grab my phone, keys and sunglasses and head to the parking lot.

i hop into my car and plug my phone into the aux. tumblr girls by g-eazy starts playing.

fine as fuck and she knows it
sexy body she shows it
loves the drama she chose it
she draws the line then she blows it
the most fun i suppose it
pops a bottle won't close it
fills a fifth then she throws it
she pops a bar now she's dozing
she's hot and cold
hot and cold
homie i don't know she's hot and cold
truly the bullshit has gotten old
superficial with a rotten soul
fucking off and on
always stop and go
probably got someone
choose not to know
head to her place then we lock the door
making bad calls when i'm off the blow
'cause she's a bitch
i'm selfish
want every girl
can't help it
and it's though for me to shelf it
it's you i see myself with
right now i know you felt it
i touched her then she melted
we shouldn't chill but we do it still
gotta play the hand if you dealt it