our unspoken symphony

one - ?

—present, 7:00pm

An unbroken, dense cloud hung menacingly above a theatre amongst the city of Paris, the air outside thick with moisture. The storm was calm at first; beginning with a slow drumming of rain bouncing off the roof that comforted the audience waiting in their seats for the performance to start. As the storm steadily built up into a thunderous deluge — so did the audience's anticipation.

The interior of the theatre was gorgeous beyond explanation. It's balconies meticulously carved, perfectly outlining the edges that enclosed the seats with a velvety leather and thousands of softly chattering tones. The space was big and wide, once bright lights dimming - silencing most of the crowd. The performance was just about to begin. Just then a crack of lightning struck outside of the walls, startling some. Albeit, no one could be as scared as the two men on the stage, both in tux, both tense.

Levi Ackerman, a man of utmost pride and detachment, held a glossy oak violin underneath his chin, supporting it with his left shoulder, the instrument slender and beautiful in the way it was designed, just as he was. The man stood in a cold sweat in front of the patient crowd, his ivor silvery hues studying each of their faces before he inhaled a deep, trembling breath. His hair matted against his scalp; slicked back and out of his face. His stomach churned and his knees felt as though they would buckle any second.

But he kept himself composed, straightening his posture before he slowly drew the bow in his right hand across the strings, the first note of that night sounded throughout the theatre. Once more, he drew his bow across the strings, then again, then again. 'Till nothing could compare to the empowerment Levi achieved when a marvellous mix of notes had been created. After several months of practice and slaving away at violin, he had perfected each note, had memorized it all. There was something about the way Levi played his violin that set the people listening into a harrowing state of mind, that allowed them to sink into a place of torrential indulgence. It was what made him such a talented violinist.

As Levi played, played beautifully, played wholly, another instrument joined in.

m/n l/n sat in front of a grand piano center left of the stage, as Levi stood center right. The younger man sat on the edge of the gorgeous instrument's bench, back strait, arms relaxed and straight in front of him as he began to press the keys in a pattern matching the beauty of notes that Levi played his violin to. It was as though m/n held no sense of fear or nervousness whatsoever, his fingers dancing effortlessly across the keyboard and his body somewhat swaying to the music that reverberated through the walls and the audience's hearts.

Levi's focused gaze shifted from his violin (—that he now played subconsciously, passionately) to the man beside him, his breath catching in his throat and for a second, he almost had a slip up. The boy was breathtakingly elegant, more captivating than he'd ever seen him to be throughout the years they have been performing together. The lighting on the stage gave Levi a chance to observe him more closely as he was captured in his own music. The droplets of sweat slipping down his skin, the way his passion appeared prominently on his expression, his professional demeanour. Levi didn't know if he's ever loved anyone this much, if he's ever seen anyone so perfect. The storm's intensity outside could never compare to the storm in Levi's heart. But Levi had to look away, had to focus on his violin, albeit it proved impossible as his gaze kept returning to m/n. The boy alone had provided a source of motivation, a reason for making music, he helped him play more fervently. Just then, their music is just now getting more emotional, the climax nearing and Levi's heart beating against his chest. They were so in sync. Levi drew his bow across the strings of his beloved instrument faster, more rigidly, and m/n's fingers danced across the keyboard as if it was their natural environment. The notes they produced took the crowd's breath away.