Hitting the Stage

Backstage...

I sat on a chair with my guitar, practicing every solo, riff, or chord. Anything and everything. I was so nervous. It was finally our first big concert. In front of thousands instead of a few hundred. I could hear their cheering just barely over the sound of Gun's N Roses' set.

I had cracked out my favorite guitar, my deep blue Fender Strat. Josh was in the dressing room, but everyone else was out here with me, practicing their instruments. Gun's N' Roses were playing Rocket Queen, and it was just about to end. And after that, we'd be on.

I dressed as fine as fine can be with a simple outfit. Black skinny jeans, along with a black tank-top. Over that, I wore a blue and green flannel. I had on my dark blue suede boots, and I topped myself off by pulling my hair back into a tight ponytail. I was ready definitely, but uneasy in a way. The first time I've ever been on a stage with the band, somebody threw a bottle, and it cracked me in the head. Then after that, a guy broke through the security line while I was entering the ambulance, trying to grab at my arm. Josh showed no sympathy and told me to get over it. I thanked all the security staff that helped me because they did a better job at protecting me than Josh did that night.

The band hit the final note of the song, ending it with a final blast from their instruments.

"Thank you!" Axl's voice was heard yelling into the microphone.

Then, all of Gun's N' Roses walked in, sweaty, hyper, and louder than Jack. Slash looked stoned, and so did Izzy. Axl tiredly flopped down of the couch beside me, having Duff bring over a cold drink from the cooler. Duff enjoyed his vodka and talked away with Axl. Steven came towards me, cracking his genuine smile, not even the slightest bit drained after such an amazing performance.

"We warmed the stage for you guys." He says, sitting next to Axl.

"Thanks." I replied, smiling anxiously. Josh finally decided to join us backstage.

"Ready to kick some ass?" He asked with a proud smile curling upon his lips.

"Sure." I replied. I began to stretch my fingers and arms as Josh went to get his guitar. I stood and stretched my limbs like I was taught to on the dance team my mother made me join. I never liked it, though. All the girls were prissy and proper. But it made me as flexible as hot rubber.

"Indigo Stained. Hit the stage!" The stage manager yelled for us. I sighed and breathed steadily. Josh comes up behind me and turns me around by my shoulder.

"Holy shit, Lane. Your really pale." He stated.

"I'm really nervouse, fuck." I spazzed, dropping my pick. My band members rushed past me as I picked it up. I held my guitar close to me as we went onto the dark stage. Once we were in our spots and ready to roll, we held up our thumbs to each other as a signal. Then, a heavy voice rang within the venue, joining the hyper crowd.

"And now! The rookie band you've all ben waiting for, Indigo Stained!" As the voice cut off, the lights flashed on, and we played the first song, Retaliate. It's a song that started with a heavy riff and slowly grew into a steady lick for the verse. My fingers danced along the fretboard. Eye glued to my guitar so I wouldn't mess up.

"Retaliate! Freedom is ours to use, but theirs to take!" Mike sang passionately into the microphone. Link and Josh backed him with their vocals as they harmonized the chorus. I played my guitar in line with Jack's beat, strumming the metallic strings. I soon relaxed and moved with the beat, rocking back and forth, headbanging, sometimes joining in with Link for the vocals. I loosened up for the first time in weeks.

The Last Song...

Mike told a story with each meaningful lyric he wrote. The crowd was screaming crazy, sometimes trying to get on the stage. I mentally cursed my mother out for saying I'd never make it in a band. If she could only see me now.