Hit and Run

The night air was cold. The surrounding terrain was a barren wasteland, with almost no plant life to break up the scenery. The black and blue sky looked to be the result of the far off mountains that jutted up into the sky like fists.

"Come on! We're gonna get caught if we don't hurry!" I said loudly as I ran down a wide rocky road as fast as my legs could carry me.

Suddenly a thought passed through my head as I felt a cool hand touch my bare arm and I smiled.

*Well, we've done this before and you haven't gotten in huge trouble yet...*

"Yah, but I don't want to be cleaning the entire weapon rack tonight if I can help it," I stated as I jumped over a rock that had fallen onto the road from on overhanging cliff.

The hand now lightly touched the back of my neck for half a second and another thought broke through my mind like a electric current.

*I'll help you if she makes you clean the barracks...*

"You don't have to do that," I said as I smiled again, slowing down so the person behind me could keep pace next to me.

The hand came to touch my shoulder and I glanced over to see the blue bipedal humanoid lizard running next to me.

*Shawn, you can't keep taking the fall for these things...*

"No, it was my fault. I wanted to show you the nest. This is on me," I said as I began to breathe on ragged breathes.

The hand slightly gripped my elbow and I had to slow down a little so she could keep a grip on me.

*Shawn...come on...you can't be serious?*

"Yah, I'm serious. Just scurry to the barracks while I distract the guards," I said with a grin my face.

The alien pointed to me and sent another message to me through our touch.

*No. I'll distract them and you sneak back into the barracks. It's my turn to do this...*

"No way! My stealth is just higher than that of a very fat grux. You're like a freaking ninja Narti," I said with a chuckle as I noticed the pathway change from rocks to a purple and grey metal street.

She shook her head and pointed to me and then to herself. I suddenly noticed the purple lights in the distance that signaled that we were close to the small outpost that we were being trained at.

"That's the barracks! Get going!" I said as I pointed toward the second largest building in the complex.

We were closing in on the back gate when she suddenly stopped, making me skid to a halt to turn and face her. Narti walked up to me and touched my arm, which she gave a little squeeze.

"I'll be fine. See you in the morning if I'm not trapped in the brig for morning roll call."

Suddenly she pulled me toward herself and buried her eyeless head into my shoulder with a hug, her mental words being of pure gratitude.

*Thank you Shawn...I don't think I've ever seen jraks hatching before...it was fun...*

"Hehe...tt's fine! Now stop wasting time you stupid lizard!" I stated breathlessly as her grip got tighter.