Chapter 2

Levy P.O.V

I flew quietly beside Lily towards the caged city, out capital. Lorimendi. The city seemed so small under the iron cage and so lonely. I sighed for probably the twentieth time since left the battlefield. Lily flew up close to me. "Spill it." He said. I blinked and looked at him. "Nothing Lily." He frowned at me and I smiled. "Honest. I'm gonna go see Brimstone and Issa, k?" He looked at me for a minute before nodding. I dove towards the ground and swooped through the gates. The guards called their hellos as I flew over head and towards the underground cathedral in the center of town.

Ever since I was a little girl, and my clan was wiped out, I stayed with the old beast everyday. I begged and begged to be his apprentice. "Sweet girl, he doesn't want you to have this life." Issa told me one day when I was a girl. I pouted as I watched him sort out trays and trays of teeth. Back then, I didn't know what they were for, so I didn't understand. Then one day, when I had had enough of his silence, he told me.

*Flash back*

"How do we fight the angels child?" he asked gruffly. I frowned. "With our bare hands of course! And warriors have hamsas!"I held out my hands pretending I had the beautiful indigo eyes on my own palms. He shook his head. "Yes and no. One day, they will expect you to be a warrior too." He stood up and walked toward one of the wooden doors in his shop. He motioned for me to follow. I followed him to the underground cathedral. He had a necklace of teeth in his hand and one of the silver thurbils. "Do you know what these are for?" I shook my head.

"The warriors take these with them into battle, and the survivors begin the gleaning." "Gleaning?" He nods. "They glean the souls of the dead, and bring them back here. Then these." He holds the necklace out. He lays the necklace on one of the stone tables that line the cathedral. He closed his eyes and the necklace began to glow. I gasped as the necklace began to form into a body. It grew and twisted until it took the form of one of my dear friends. "L-Lily?!"

Tears pricked my eyes but Brimstone held out his hand. He hung the thurbil above his body and set an inscent cone on his forehead. He twisted open the thurbil and waited. I stared at my friends stiff form for what seemed like ages. Suddenly he took a deep breath and I gasped. Lily opened his eyes as he grunted and sat up. "Levy?" he asked as I suddenly hugged him. Once I calmed down Brimstone took me back to the shop. "That is what the teeth are for child. Magic makes the bodies, and magic is not free." He said as he sat back at his desk.

"Magic takes a tithe. The most powerful tithe, is pain." As he said this, my eyes wandered to the scars that covered his body from his previous imprisonment. "Those with hamsas, have died before. The hamsas take the pain of their death, and turn it to power to use on the angels. They can not stand the power of our devils eyes." I nodded. I never asked to be his apprentice again. But one day he set a tray of teeth before me and turned back to his work. I frowned a little as I stared.

I picked up a tooth and looked at it. A fang, feline maybe? I stuck it into a pile. Another tooth. Rotten, I don't know how I could tell, but I could feel it. I put it in another pile. I continued to sort the teeth and I pushed the tray back when I finished. He looked surprised and nodded. I grinned.

*Flash Back End*

Since then I help sort the teeth and even help Issa control the people who bring him more teeth. He calls them human, from a place called Earth. Issa, could be described as a snake goddess. Her body was scales, her waist down was a long cobra tail. Instead of hair she had a cobras hood and she always had dozens of snakes wrapped around her neck, head and waist. When one of the humans came into the shop they had to wear a snake. Would they cause problems, the snake would bite, if they were venomous, strangle if not.

I soared threw the cathedral, folding in my wings as I entered the narrow hall. I skipped down the hall to the devils lair and opened the door to another world.

HIS P.O.V

"Come on, you arnt dead." A gruff feminine voice said. I groaned and opened my eyes, meeting those of a scarlet haired monsters. "Hello Erza, I'm feeling fantastic thanks for asked..." I said hoarsely. She rolled her brown eyes and her fiery wings twitched. We all had the same black feathers that seemed to burn. They even gave off their own heat and light. "I told them to wait for you to wake up before they cut your arm off." I looked down at my mangled arm.

The pain was almost unbearable but I would never admit it. I grinned a little. "Gihee, I can make it work again. No need to cut it off." Again she rolled her eyes. "Gajeel, your awake!" A very loud voice said. I rolled my eyes as Erzas pink haired brother, Natsu, entered. "Are you ever quiet?" I sighed. He laughed and sat on the edge of my bed. "So what happened out there? You should have been a goner." Erza said, not even trying to beat around the bush.

I frowned a little, remember the blue haired girls smile. "I don't remember. After I went down, it was pretty hazy." She stared at me, like she was reading my soul before nodding. "Very well then. What are you gonna do about that arm?" "I'll figure it out." again she nodded.

While I recovered, I couldn't keep my mind from the use haired chimera. I had never felt like this before, and I knew I had to see her again. I had been transported back to the capital, so I went to the library. I received strange looks. A Misbegotten here? The bastard children of the emperor only fought. Nothing else.

I searched and searched, finally finding what I was looking for. 'Only one book on magic huh?' I frowned a little. I took the book back to where I was staying and began to read. Soon, I would have my next plan of action.