Maternal&Child Nursing Part 1

Break a leg nurses! Don't forget to click FOLLOW. :) :)

1. When assessing the adequacy of sperm for conception to occur, which of the following is the most useful criterion?

A. Sperm count

B. Sperm motility

C. Sperm maturity

D. Semen volume

2. A couple who wants to conceive but has been unsuccessful during the last 2 years has undergone many diagnostic procedures. When discussing the situation with the nurse, one partner states, “We know several friends in our age group and all of them have their own child already, Why can’t we have one?”. Which of the following would be the most pertinent nursing diagnosis for this couple?

A. Fear related to the unknown

B. Pain related to numerous procedures.

C. Ineffective family coping related to infertility.

D. Self-esteem disturbance related to infertility.

3. Which of the following urinary symptoms does the pregnant woman most frequently experience during the first trimester?

A. Dysuria

B. Frequency

C. Incontinence

D. Burning

4. Heartburn and flatulence, common in the second trimester, are most likely the result of which of the following?

A. Increased plasma HCG levels

B. Decreased intestinal motility

C. Decreased gastric acidity

D. Elevated estrogen levels

5. On which of the following areas would the nurse expect to observe chloasma?

A. Breast, areola, and nipples

B. Chest, neck, arms, and legs

C. Abdomen, breast, and thighs

D. Cheeks, forehead, and nose

6. A pregnant client states that she “waddles” when she walks. The nurse’s explanation is based on which of the following as the cause?

A. The large size of the newborn

B. Pressure on the pelvic muscles

C. Relaxation of the pelvic joints

D. Excessive weight gain

7. Which of the following represents the average amount of weight gained during pregnancy?

A. 12 to 22 lb

B 15 to 25 lb

C. 24 to 30 lb

D. 25 to 40 lb

8. When talking with a pregnant client who is experiencing aching swollen, leg veins, the nurse would explain that this is most probably the result of which of the following?

A. Thrombophlebitis

B. Pregnancy-induced hypertension

C. Pressure on blood vessels from the enlarging uterus

D. The force of gravity pulling down on the uterus

9. Cervical softening and uterine souffle are classified as which of the following?