INTRO

Dean's cell phone rang, and, for the first time in months, it displayed Sam's number.

Immediately, he snatched it up, oblivious to the fact that the car in front of him was braking. His eyes lifted just in time for him to slam on his own brakes, barely saving the Impala's bumper. His ears rang and his head felt hot as the phone vibrated in his hands.

To answer or not to answer?

Hell, it's Sam. Pick it up; he could be in some kind of danger.

Why? He hasn't cared enough to contact me for months, and now he might need saving? Forget it.

But it's Sammy.

The last thought won. Dean flipped the phone open, but his voice hesitated. Something in his brain wouldn't let him speak.

"Dean?"

It was him, for sure. Dean didn't know why he doubted it. Still, his dry mouth hung open, desperately groping for words but finding none.

"Dean?" Sam repeated. "Are you there?"

"I'm here," he finally croaked out.

A sigh (Of relief? Of slight disappointment? Dean's anxiety switched back and forth between theories.) came from Sam's side.

"Where are you?" Sam asked. There was a brief pause as Dean's tongue twisted around all the words he wanted to say. "I'd- I want to see you."

"Oh, yeah?" Dean immediately regretted the angry tone he used, but his mouth kept going. "This couldn't have come sooner, so I'd know you were still alive? Had me and Bobby worried sick. We damn near canvassed the whole freakin' country looking for you."

Sam let out a soft dammit that was barely audible on Dean's end. "I'm sorry, okay? Just- just come meet me somewhere?"

His heart leaped, but his voice stayed gruff and restrained. "Tell me where you are."

Another sigh came from Sam. "Fine," he said gently. "I'm in Arizona. Staying at La Quinta in Reid Park."

"That's Tuscon, right? Don't you move. I'm on my way right now."