JOURNALS OF WINTER

It was a gloomy Saturday morning in the town of Daechi in Gangnam, one of the districts of Seoul, because of the rain pouring hardly outside. It was always like this during winter season here in the heart of South Korea. The rain was really creating noise on the roof. I was living in a dormitory provided by the organization who granted me a scholarship. The room was really small. It has two windows on the right side of my bed letting me see the morning light during summer and a painting of Seoul Olympic Park in Songpa on the left side – near the doorway. Everything was paid by the organization. They gave me the chance to pursue my master’s degree in English Language and Literature at Seoul National University. I was living by myself – alone. I was deeply desiring to see my mother especially when I was feeling being sentimental on winter days. She was in the Philippines. I knew that it was impossible for her to be here that fast. I was constantly seeing the pictures of my family in my homeland. It was January – the winter continued. I already expected that the weather would be cold like the melting glaciers or dead corpse.

            I was sitting on my bed – still unmoved. As I turned my head on the window I felt the coldness of the wind kissing my warm cheek. I wasn’t able to   resist the spell of watching the playful leaves of trees dancing with the strong gust of wind. My body was still covered with the blanket. It made me warm. It made me feel safe. Honestly, even I belong to the dominant realm of masculine gender I was afraid of thunder and lightning. It was strange - I guess, but it was real. However, I was fond of playing with the snow because it was my first time seeing it and frankly, there’s no snow fall in the Philippines at all.

            Since it was winter break, I stayed at home. In this kind of weather, I usually write poems and other things that I, myself, considered literary pieces. It was normal because I was studying English Language and Literature. The rain was undefeated – it was becoming stronger. Again, I will be trapped inside the house dreaming that I was with my mother baking my favorite cookies.  Suddenly, the sadness that was covering my whole being was subdued by excitement. I was excited to see my angel – someone who made me feel like in heaven – always. Yes, I considered Chloe as my angel – a God’s gift from up above. She was really incomparable. It was difficult to see her eyes, lips and pointed nose. One night, we tried to ride in the Namsan cable car at Namsan Mountain going to N Seoul Tower. It was our first time to be there. It was fun and indeed memorable. I was holding her face – seriously. I kissed her without hesitation while the cable car was moving. I evaluated her face. I didn’t see any objection or any rude reaction. Maybe, she loves me - very much.

            -Why? Ahm..I mean why you never got mad? (I asked her while holding her face)

            -Why should I? I love you Brian. I am forever yours.

            -Thanks. I love you more than you love me. By the way, you are really beautiful tonight.

            -Is that only the reason why you love me?

            -No. There is another thing.

            -What?

            -It’s because I’m handsome so I am perfectly match for you. (Laughing)

            She just embraced me – tightly. The night ended with that joke of mine but she never laughed at it. In my eyes, her beauty was such a perfect masterpiece of an adept painter or even sculptor. Her face was molded perfectly. Every detail was done carefully.