chapter four.

My surroundings were mostly of a snow covered city, the light snow falling quietly on the ground. My jacket had no hood, so I felt the snow falling onto my hair. I shivered, attempting to brush some of the snow off, but it only made my hair look worse. I sighed and gave up.

The sounds of the cars echoed in the background, engines revving. The snow crunched underneath my feet as I made my way through the city. Numerous tall buildings towered over my head, as if to touch the sky above. The city was less busy than usual, probably because most of the people were on vacation, simply out of town, or just at home, sick like me.

It was mostly a walk in the park across the streets, and I finally made my way to a small little pitstop. A sign hung over to the side on one building that read "A Simple Town Café" on it in bright red letters that seemed to always pop out at you. The so called 'simple café' was no longer as simple as it used to be, since many people came in to get a drink of their coffee or tea.

I opened the door, and a small bell made a little jingle to notify the owners that someone had come in. It wasn't as full as it would usually had been. There was only a few people here and there, sitting quietly drinking their coffee and eating their snacks. One of them had even taken out a book to read beside the café's fireplace.

I walked up to the counter, quietly adjusting my scarf, when a man with black hair came along in a light red apron. On the side of his apron had a nametag that read 'Jack Bakens' in dark red pen. "Ah, if it isn't Mr. Edgeworth!" he exclaimed, a clear smile on his face. "How nice it is for the Genius Prosecutor to come and visit us today!" he bent down and took out a small tea pouch from underneath the counter. "So, whatcha want, friend? The usual?"

Contrary to what Mr. Bakens was offering, I simply felt no urge to have any tea at that moment. It was probably understandable, given that I did just finish up a cup of tea about an hour before.

Although, I didn't really feel any happy at all either. I just stared at him with a blank look at my face until I actually decided to answer.

"...No, actually."

Mr. Bakens raised an eyebrow as he put the pouch away. "Whaaat?" He said, confused. "That's new. You usually only come here for the tea we got." He shrugged it off as if it was no big deal. "Well, whatcha got in mind?"

"...I actually want to try the uh..." I hesitated, "the... Hot chocolate."

"Ooh, that?" He took out one of those normal take-out coffee cups and did some weird flips with it until placing it down and taking out a hot chocolate packet. "Surprised you want to try that out of all things, friend. It's not usually like you to try out things either than tea."

I shrugged, taking out my wallet in my pocket. "...Just felt like it today."

Mr. Bakens gave me a concerned look as he brewed up some hot chocolate for me. He poured it into the coffee cup and did some swanky moves as he put and pressed the lid onto the cup. He slid it over across the counter and it slowly came to a halt right in front of me.

"Three dollars, mate."

I nodded silently, and handed him over three one dollar bills while grabbing the hot chocolate with my other hand.

I nodded at Mr. Bakens once as thanks, then I turned my back on him and started to make my way out of the café.

"Yo. Hold it, Edgeworth."

I turned around, surprised that Mr. Bakens had called me to come back over. He was pointing at me with his index finger, sort of posing dramatically as if he was interrupting me in court.

Trying to be an attorney, are you now?

I quietly went over to the man, who soon enough put his hand down onto the desk. Mr. Bakens' facial expression told it all; he was concerned about something, and that something was about me. I gave him a puzzled look in return, holding my drink close to my chest.

He held up a finger to indicate that he was getting something from underneath the cupboards. Soon enough he took out a small business card from underneath and slid it over to my hands. I stopped it with my fingers and flipped it over from the blank side.

Wh... What's this...?

It was a business card for a therapy center. The name and phone number of the person was written on it in very smooth handwriting, as well as a small little motto that said something like "Stay sane!" or something like that. I gave Mr. Bakens a confused look.

"What is this for...?" I muttered loudlly enough for Mr. Bakens to hear.

"This is a business card for a therapist that I know. She's real darn good at her job. Maybe try seeing her once in a while." He stared me straight in the eyes. For once, this man was dead serious. Not something I'd usually expect from a guy like him. "You look like you need it. Maybe you're going through depression."

"But... I'm not..."

"Just go. For your safety."

Still shaken by this sudden suggestion from the usually happy and cheery baker, and simply nodded and turned away, bringing the cup of hot chocolate with me.

"...I'll think about it."