2

Around 1:00 at midnight, Ayaan walked into the bedroom and stared at Alia for few seconds. He knew his words had hurt her so much but he had no choice. He walked up to her, swayed his hand over her hairs and the lamp was turned off. In the morning, Alia was sitting on the bed still crying thinking about the previous night and about what Ayaan had told her. Tears rolled down. "If love marriages has issues, everyone blames the couple for their love. But if arranged marriages have problems, who should be blamed?... Family?, Relatives?, or people like me?" She thought to herself. Ayaan was not her choice but her parents' choice. As she always believed in true love, she never said a no. But married him and began loving him more than herself. Now she did not know what to do.
  Alia had only one person with whom she shared everything. There weren't any secrets between them as they were very open to each other. He was her mom's elder sister's son, Karan. He was six years older to her. They had other cousins too but as they were the only children, they became so close and saw each other as their own sibling. To Karan, Alia was his little sister, his family, best friend and everything. He was the same for Alia too. They always had each other's back no matter what ever had happened.
  By afternoon Alia was sitting down on the floor, leaning on the couch. She was drained out. Then there was a knock on the door. She did not move. Karan opened the door and stepped in. Looking at Alia, he slammed the door and rushed beside her. He knew something was wrong. "Alia, what happened?" She buried her face to his chest and cried out. He held her tight and close. "Alia... ", he gently called out her name without letting go of her. She cried for long. He began to feel heavy inside watching his little one cry. With a shaking voice he asked "tell me what's wrong. Please stop crying." After a while she spoke, "Karan... Why am I so unlucky in love?" "Where is Ayaan? " "I don't know bhaiyya. He comes and goes when ever he feels like. He doesn't tell me where he was or what he did. He doesn't even wanna talk to me." Karan felt disturbed. "I thought everything is well between you two and that you were happy Alia." "Everything was... " she paused. "It was all well until few days ago..."  She told him the incident since when Ayaan kept a distance from her.

***

Few days before -

  Ayaan's phone was ringing on the table. "Ayaan pick up your phone. It's ringing." "Coming... " said he from the other room. The phone was still ringing. "Ayaan... ." By the time she reached, the phone had stopped ringing. Ayaan came there too. "It stopped ringing." She handed it over to him. When he unlocked his phone, his whatsapp screen opened.
  "So you were checking through my messages." "What?" Alia was shocked. "You were reading my messages. I didn't know you were so cheap." "Ayaan I came here to pick up your phone cause it was ringing. Why would I check your messages." "You read my messages. You wanna know who called me. Great! So I should not have any personal things huh? You wanna know everything. Alia I need my own space." He shouted at her. "Why are you making this such an issue? Nothing happened Ayaan." "You do everything and say nothing has happened? Of course! I haven't seen anyone so cheap and cunning. Go away. I don't wanna talk to you anymore." He walks away but Alia stops him.
  "Stop it Ayaan. I didn't do anything and if I have, I will accept my mistake. You can't say whatever you want to." "How dare you raise your voice against me! Why do you react so much when you haven't done anything?" "Cause you're making me to." "Stop being absurd and now leave me alone Alia." "So you don't trust me?" "Why would I? I just saw what you did and you are arguing with me on this? You are so insane! Just go and die Alia. Let me be! Okay!" "If that's what you want then I'll die." Saying this she runs to the balcony and tries to jump off. Ayaan slaps her out of anger. She falls to the ground and cries out. "Enough is enough! You better stop your stupid dramas right away Alia. It's better I die." He shouts at her and walks out of the house.

  "Since then he found many reasons to fight until when he told me why". She took a deep breath. Karan looked at her. "Why? What did he say?" "Bhaiyya, he wants a divorce." "What? I just don't understand. What's happening between both of you? You're such a sweetheart Alia. Why is he doing this?" "There's someone else in his life." She breaks down. "When will he come? This is it Alia. You are his wife. I'm not gonna let this happen." Karan burst out with anger. "Karan please....he told me he doesn't love me.  Why would you force someone for love." "Alia, baby... I understand what you are going through. Why is everyone playing with your life. I know your love is true. I believe in you." He hugs her. She cries again.
  In the evening Ayaan comes home and finds Karan sitting along with Alia on the couch. He looks at them but ignores him and walks away. "Ayaan please don't walk away. I wanna talk to you." "I don't wanna talk to you and I don't like anyone sharing my family matters with others." Hearing that Alia gets annoyed. "Ayaan he is my brother." "Whoever it is I don't care and I don't want anyone coming to my house. So please leave." Ayaan walks away and Karan feels insulted. "I am sorry bhaiyya. I shouldn't have asked you to come." "It's okay Alia. We'll meet outside. Just call me okay and take care of yourself." "Karan... ", Karan hugs Alia and goes out.
  Alia goes to the bedroom and finds Ayaan sitting on the corner of the bed. "You shouldn't have said all that. He's my family." "Alia, whoever it is, why would you go and share your family problems to someone else?" He shouted back. "I need to share out my feelings to someone else cause Ayaan you don't even talk to me. What am I supposed to do then? You don't get it. Do you?" "Everyone has their feelings and emotions Alia. Learn to control them! I don't wanna talk about this anymore. What about divorce?" "I already told you, I will not give you a divorce!" "I wanna live the life I wished for and I will go to any extend for that!" He said in rage.
  "Can I ask you something? Why did you stop me from jumping down that day? If I died, that was the easiest way for you to live with your love. Why didn't you allow me to?" He could not answer to her question. She very well knew that he loved her so much and that he couldn't let go of her. She had the answer to her question in his eyes. Without saying a word he walked out of the room and she sat on the bed with teary eyes.