1.02 - Work, Work, Work

With a bag slung over her shoulder and her coat slung over her arm, Eden Shaw hurried away from her car and the parking lot towards the building she worked in. She had worked here since before her accident, but it became even more appropriate after it happened and she returned to work. Suddenly, she was able to relate, not only to the people that she worked with, but the people that used their services as well. She had understood them before, but now she related. To a degree.

After entering the building, Eden caught sight of Sam Wilson standing a little ways away, talking to a familiar face. He caught sight of her entering out of the corner of his eye and gave her a smile as she made her way to the employee's room in the back of the Veteran's Affairs building. Eden had just hung her coat and bag up in the back when the door opened behind her and a voice spoke.

"How you feeling today, Edee?"

She turned and smiled at Sam. "Well, w- I managed to stay asleep all night. No dreams or nightmares that I can remember," she relayed, "how about you?"

"I've been sleeping great lately. Still waking up in the middle of the night, but that's just habit," Sam replied.

"As is calling me," she teased. She had been in such a deep sleep last night that she had actually missed Sam's call. And she felt awful.

"That's a given," Sam said, taking the teasing in stride. "Must have been one hell of a good sleep if you didn't hear your phone ringing."

"It was," she admitted, "last time I felt this refreshed was before the accident."

"That's good," Sam said.

Eden collected some papers, pens and various other things she would need at the front desk. "How did your friend like that playlist?" she asked.

"He thought it was great," Sam said, "he's really enjoying it. At least, that's what he's saying to my face."

"Why did you need a catch-up/in case you missed it playlist? You make friends with a hermit finally peaking out of his shell?" she asked as she opened the door out of the back room.

Sam laughed, "he's not a hermit, per se, but there were some... circumstances that made him miss out on some stuff. Everyone is trying to make sure he gets to see and hear the things he missed."

"That's awfully sweet," Eden said, bumping Sam in the shoulder with her own as he followed her to the front desk. "Might I make some more contributions? I have spent a lot of time being confined to a bed or not having work and needing something to do. Lots of books, movies, tv shows and stuff."

"What do you got? He's got a pretty long list already, so," Sam asked.

"Doctor Who and Sherlock are a must. Game of Thrones, of course. For movies if Star Wars isn't on the list it needs to be. And Lord of the Rings. Get him to listen to all of the iconic songs that everyone knows no matter what kind of music you like... So, mostly Queen. Get him on Vine. Does he have Netflix?" Eden finally asked.

"I'd have to ask about that one," Sam admitted, "but that's quite the list you got there."

"That's just off the top of my head. Trust me, if I could go through my Netflix list... I'd have a lot more. When I was off after my accident, I spent so much time watching Netflix. No matter how good I told people I felt, they were insistent I get the full amount of bedrest possible. While it was infuriating, it gave me and Netflix a chance to develop a close relationship," she explained as she sat down at the front desk.

"They were just worried about you, you know," Sam reminded her, leaning on the front desk counter.

"Of course," she said, "but this was after I'd gotten the okay from my doctor. He just said to take it easy. Not for my family to keep me confined to my bed for an extra six weeks."

"Okay, maybe that's pushing it," Sam admitted.

"Yeah, why do you think it took so long for me to return to work?" Eden questioned.

"Well," Sam said, standing up, "I got a meeting in five. Lunch?"

"You know the way to a girl's heart isn't through her stomach, Samuel," she teased.

"But yours is," he said as he walked away.

"Does that mean you're buying?" she asked, watching his retreating form.

He didn't give her an answer, at least not verbally. But he did wave his hand behind him at her in a dismissive manner and she laughed as she turned back to the desk and began to organize her space.

It would be a long work day, it always was, but with lunch with Sam to look forward to (and the possibility of him paying for it all), then it wouldn't feel like so long. Eden took a moment to be thankful she had a friend like Sam to work with. People like him were the kind of people you always wanted to have around, good-natured and funny, always able to lighten your mood and make the work day seem shorter than it actually was. Especially in a customer service position like hers. Even if all the customers were just veterans.

Sitting up straight, Eden greeted the person coming through the door, her mind already drifting to thoughts of food and what she'd have for lunch. Breakfast may have only been less than an hour ago, but that certainly didn't mean that she wasn't already thinking about where she and Sam would go and what they'd eat. There was a good fry truck not that far away that would be perfect. Her stomach was already growling just thinking about it. She made a note in her mind to find Sam before lunch to tell him where she wanted to go.

Eden cast her eyes up as the door opened once more to find a very tall and buff blond man coming in. And as he came up to the desk she couldn't help but think he was familiar, especially when she looked into his eyes and they were the most stunning blue that she had ever seen.

"Can I help you, Blue Eyes?" she asked.

"Uh, yeah," he answered, "I'm looking for Sam Wilson."

"That way, probably," she told him, pointing down the hall behind her.

"Thank you," he told her gratefully before heading in the direction she had indicated.

Eden gave him a smile as he passed, then turned and watched him go, wondering why he looked so familiar and appreciating how nice he was to look at.