Chapter 8

Mingyu

Mingyu woke up with a blanket only covering his upper torso while his legs were exposed. Flies were continuously landing on his legs or face causing him to give up whatever hope he had for going back to sleep.

He looked around confused as to where he was. When he saw folded blankets and a backpack half opened he began to remember.

Knocks were made from the entrance of the treehouse.

"Goodmorning Mingyu!" A happy cheery voice said, "I brought food for you."

Minghao came into the treehouse with a bag of 'breakfast' in tupperwares.

"Thanks," Mingyu gave Minghao a smile.

The smell of food made Mingyu's mouth water. He couldn't remember the last time he ate. Was it at the restaurant? Lunchtime? Or was it at home? Who knows.

At that moment in time, all Mingyu knew was that his stomach was rumbling and food was being laid out right in front of him by Minghao.

"So I went back home early because one, my mom didn't know I left the house. Two, snacks aren't breakfast and three, you are a person who needs to eat," Minghao gave a smile before continuing, "Now, this purple one has strawberries and this one has bread..."

He continued explaining the rest of which was what and finally let Mingyu eat.

Mingyu chose to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with a side of strawberries. It was simple but good. Minghao only chose to eat strawberries.

"Tell me about yourself some more before you go," Minghao said before putting a strawberry in his mouth.

And with a half eaten sandwich in his hand, Mingyu replied confused, "Go?"

Minghao continued eating while nodding his head.

"Yes. Yesterday you said you were locked out, right? And you probably want to change and do your morning routine."

Mingyu slowed down his eating, still confused. Seeing as Mingyu took a while to respond and his facial expression looked as if he was trying to remember, Minghao continued to talk.

"I am basically going to kick you out after you tell me something about yourself."

Minghao smiled at him and Mingyu stuffed his face with the rest of his sandwich.

"Mmmm... I have a lot of free time on me."

Minghao frowned as that wasn't exactly the answer he was expecting, "That—"

Just as Minghao was going to ask for a different answer, he was cut off by a ringing flip phone. Mingyu picked up his phone from the floor and answered it."

"Hello?"

It was then that Minghao noticed the color of the phone. A bright neon pink.

"Okay, I'll be back within thirty minutes... Mkay bye."

He smiled at Minghao and climbed down the ladder. Minghao stuck his head out of the window and saw Mingyu already on the floor. The dirt was darker than before meaning it rained during the hours they slept.

"Hey! Mingyu!" Minghao yelled out. Mingyu looked up as he walked backward away from the treehouse.

"Nice phone! I really like the color you chose!"

Mingyu shook his head and turned around, lifting his right hand up to flip off Minghao. Minghao only smirked

~~~

Minghao

He closed the door front door roughly making the door slam shut. He had his stuffed backpack filled with plastic tupperwares.

"Mom I'm home!" he yelled making sure his mother knew he was home. 

And just within seconds, Minghao's mother came rushing to the front door with arms opened wide. He smiled at his energetic mother and they hugged for a good minute.

"Give me the tupperwares. I'll go put them in the sink and you could tell me how it went with your friend, yeah?" Mrs. Xu said, cautiously as they had an argument in the morning. It was over something small but it was still something. 

Minghao nodded, "Okay. Let me put down my backpack as well."

They both went and did what was needed to be done before sitting in the clean living room.

"So... would you like to talk about the new friend? Maybe we can invite him over for dinner?"

Just as Minghao's mother asked him questions, his mood instantly dropped. He didn't feel like talking anymore but didn't know why. It was as if he already talked to her about it.

"No. Can we just talk about this later? I don't want to talk at the moment."

Minghao's mother nodded and turned on the television for both to watch. 

~~~

7.21.18