I

I sat in front of the fireplace with an old book in hands, my kid sat next to me on a big red couch and looked at me with curiosity.
Some years ago I promised that I would tell her the whole story of my friendship with Lu, Fred, and Josie.

— First of all — I started — what are you supposed to do when you discover that there's a bomb coming to your city? — I asked her but had no answer — Well, I was not sure and — to be honest with you — I don't even know how I survived. This is my story about a bomb, a basement, and seven people.

It all began on a sunny Saturday morning in 2018; I was at home watching TV, as I always do when the news reported that a bomb was about to be thrown on my city.

In a first moment, I didn't believe in that at all, I was like "come on guys, I live in a pacific city, why would people throw a bomb here?".  The time was passing and I decided that I should move on and stockpile water and some food; I started to put them in my basement because I wanted to have food and water for some months if there was a bomb coming.

For some reason — that I don't remember at all — I decided that I should get out and when I did I saw six different people crying...

"What are they doing on my front yard?" — I wondered myself

I — carefully — got closer to them and asked why they were crying although I could imagine their reason to do that

— We saw that a bomb is about to be thrown here and we don't have a safe place to go. — the redhead said drying his tears

After that I discovered his name, it was Luis. As you know, my dear, he's such a tall man and he was as tall as he is right now when I met him. He was always peaceful and kind, and those are the reasons why I saved him.

— And how about Josie mom? — she asked

—- You have to be patient my dear, I'll get there. — she laughed and nodded her head — So... what was I saying?

— You were explaining the reason why you saved uncle Lu.

— Oh, I see... so as I was saying...

Josephine was the short blond girl crying next to Luis, actually, they were a couple and both of them were doing kind of a helping mission in my city; of course, I only found out that they were a couple some months after that episode.

Josie told me her beautiful story, she was an only child and her parents were poor, they did everything they could do to help her go to a good university. She studied medicine and started to help poor people around the world as soon as she graduated.

She was always a kind and helpful person and those are the reasons why I saved her.

And Frederico? Well, he was the tall guy wearing reading glasses. He's Brazilian just like me and he was funny and very friendly, as Josie, he told me his sad story. Unfortunately, it is too long and I don't have time to tell you right now.

All that you need to know for now is that his story touched me as Josie's story did and I saved him because of it.

— But mom, you said seven people, how about the others?

— Well... I included me on this, but the other three people were kinda strange, they weren't that kind with me and their stories didn't touch me as much as the others' stories did.

My basement was too small and I could save only three of them, so I saved Lu, Fred, and Josie... now we are best friends even though we are living in different countries.

And that's the story, my dear, now I have to go, I need to work. We can finish this conversation later. See you soon.

I got up, kissed her cheek and reached the door.

That's all Folks!

THE END.