Chapter 23 Surprises, Surprises

Things, however, weren't as easy as Credence would have wanted. As soon as Dumbledore heard that Mathilda was back to her normal state, he called for her to join him in Scotland to continue the search for Grindelwald. After a long discussion, Newt and Mathilda agreed to stop Credence from going with her, since it would be too dangerous for him to be out in a place where he could be easily found.

Newt, also desperate to do something else, joined his brother in Albania to search for any possible leads. The Goldstein sisters, who stayed behind, had become Secret Keepers of the Scamander household, under a Fidelius Charm put in place by Mathilda.

And Credence did nothing but waiting by a window, hoping for an owl bearing a letter from either of them. His solace were the sisters, and his copy of Newt's book.

"The wait is agonizing," he said one day after dinner. "Isn't it?"

"What wait?" Queenie asked.

"Their absence," Credence said. "I miss them."

"We all do," Tina said sharply. "It's nothing new."

Queenie placed a hand on Tina's arm, and told her to go and take a bath. Tina obeyed, dropping the cloth she'd been holding.

"She received word from Newt last night," Queenie said softly. "She's scared for him, but he said he'll be back soon."

"No word from Mathilda?"

"No, but Dumbledore did write. He said she's very busy right now."

"Did he say where she was?"

Queenie blinked a few times and bit her lip, thinking.

"She's in Germany," she said softly. "Grindelwald is gathering support there, so she's investigating."

"He could kill her."

"She's protected, and she knows how to defend herself, too."

"But –"

"Dumbledore said that she would be back before the wedding," Queenie said. "Which is why Tina is so worried about Newt."

"W-Wedding?!" Credence asked, alarmed. "Who? When?"

"Well, Tina and Newt, of course!" Queenie said excitedly. "That's why Tina is worried sick! She doesn't want to be a groom-less bride."

He suddenly remembered that night when he had seen Tina and Newt as they held hands and disappeared towards the balcony. He hadn't thought about it since, but now the news of their wedding made a lot more sense.

"When did this happen? Why didn't you tell me?"

"Oh, it was extremely unexpected," she said. "They've been together for a while, but he popped the question just before leaving for Albania."

He was now aware of the extent of Newt and Tina's relationship, but he didn't think they would be marrying in a time of war. It seemed sudden, uncalculated... but, he figured, either of them could die at any moment during a fight, so they might as well take the leap forward.

"Where was I when he asked?" he asked.

"Moping over Mathilda leaving," she said.

"I wasn't!"

She threw him a knowing look, one that warned him against arguing with her.

"We all know that you like her," she said. "And we know that she likes you, too. You are both so oblivious and cute."

He was speechless, blushing like mad. So he wasn't the only one who knew...

"When is the wedding?" he asked, trying to change the subject.

"In a month," Queenie said. "But don't worry, time flies."