Chapter 22

Shadow's POV

Luca? This is where you've been? This is the exact place you chose to go?

"I'm not lying to you," Tom interrupted my thoughts. I shook my head, trying to forget what I had just been told, but the crispy bacon was suddenly impossible to chew, and my egg tasted like cardboard. My stomach retorted angrily, churning like a washing machine.

"Well, thanks a lot, Tom. I come here for a nice relaxing breakfast free of any discussion about ex-boyfriends, and what do I get? Not that."

"He's been talking about you a lot, lately. Plus, you guys left on a good note, or so I thought."

"I haven't spoken to him in years, I haven't seen his Facebook posts in years. We broke up because school, and you're telling me he's now here?" Tom nodded, and I felt my heart twist.

"Well, may as well go see him, then. Amber has ditched me for Gale, so, y'know, I don't have anything else to do." I forced my voice to be nonchalant, but my innards were far from that. My stomach felt like headphones in my pocket, and the butterflies threatened to overwhelm me.

We left, and walked for several minutes before he lead me up an apartment block. My whole body shook as he unlocked his door, then walked it.

"Luca! Buddy! You here?"

"Yeah, I am. What's up?"

"I have a visitor for you." I stepped inside to see the taller, short-haired man. His black hair and tan skin pulled at my heart-strings, and I fought off a sob.

It had been so long since I'd last seen him, and yet he still looked like he had all those years ago.

"Holy... Shadow?" he gasped, and rushed to my side. "Hey, Luca," I replied softly, and his face crumpled. "It's so good to see you again." He embraced me into a warm hug and I returned it, tears pricking my eyes.

"Hey, I now have to shoot off, but you guys have a good day, okay?" Tom escaped, and I watched him leave.

"So what's the betting he's off to break up Amber and Gale's happy day?" I asked, and Luca hesitated, before he laughed understandingly.

We went over to the couch and sat on it, bodies still close; and attempt at making up for the years where they were so far apart.

"How have you been all these years? I didn't know you lived with Tom and Gale. I didn't even think you'd want to for a day, let alone half a year - with room for more."

"Two minutes through the door and you already don't like Tom that much, again."

"It's his underwear on the floor, is it not?" I asked, and nudged my head towards the offending garment on the floor.

"Point taken. Just try to understand that they have been and are really good friends to me, and they accept me. They treat me well, and that's good enough for now."

"Good enough for now?"

"Well, I'm still waiting for the day I can add something else that I want into my life..." His eyes met mine and I blushed, before looking away.

I felt him tense at my unease, but then his arms wrapped around me again. "I know we ended things, but I'm so glad you're here right now," he whispered.

My heart swelled, but the sadness from losing him threatened to deflate it.

"I am too."

Jerome's POV

"Is this really a good idea? Are you sure, Mitch?"

"Yes!"

"It might hurt... you've never done this before, have you?"

"Obviously not."

"I just don't want you to get hurt."

"I can handle it..."

"Yours looks too small..."

"No, you're basing it on yours which is too big!"

"I think we'll need lessons anyway. First time and all... maybe someone could help the sizing issues?"

"Jerome! Are you kidding me? It's just surfing! What's with all the panic?" I pouted, eyes going wide in an attempt at innocence.

"I just want to be sure no one gets hurt!" I whined, and Mitch gave me a hug. "Okay, Jerome. If that's all it is..."

(Time Skip with multiple surfing fails I wish I could watch) (omg it's a time skip)

After falling in the water mulitple times without even standing once, someone noticed us failing and she ran over. "Hi there! Want help learning to surf?!"

"No-"

"Yes please." Mitch said at the same time. I sighed. "Sure, then." Ignoring me, she started to give tips on balance and how to ride the waves.

Afterwards, Mitch thanked her and she smiled at him, twirling her hair and putting an hand on his arm. She intentionally readjusted her bikini and I just stared daggers at her. "So what's your name?" she asked.

"I'm Mitch and this is-"

"Nice to meet you Mitch. I'm Jess. We should hang out sometime."

Hello? Am I a piece of seaweed or something?

"I don't know. I'm only here a few days." Her face fell in obvious disappointment. "Oh, that's such a shame! I was really looking forward to getting to know you better!"

Mitch looked uncomfortable, and I felt myself struggling to contain myself.

He was used to this, but I was not.

I wasn't used to my boyfriend being wanted by those he didn't, and it was scary.

I didn't want to lose him. Not when I'd only just gotten him.