Closure

“Meredith Elsa Jacob” a woman in prim white coat called.

“That’s me,” I shouted as I made my way to her. She guided me to a large laboratory divided into cubicles made of smart glass. I was led to one at the right where an old scientist with a warm smile welcomed me.
“Good evening Meredith. I see you want to see your mother,” he said without wasting a moment. I nodded. A silent tear slipped past my eyes at the thought of seeing my mother one last time.

“There, there, Meredith. Wipe your tears and lay down. You are going to have the opportunity of your lifetime,” the man said.

I laid down on the bed next to him and he attached a helmet onto my head, an oximeter on my finger and glued some wires on to my chest.

“Try to remember the times you spent with your mother,” he spoke softly.
I nodded and began to rake through my memories.

The last time I saw her was still a blur. There was blood and wailing sirens of police vehicles and ambulance as paramedics hauled me to a stretcher. I saw someone covering my mother’s limp body with a white cloth. Then the visual changed to my 12th birthday when she gifted me my first bicycle. That image blurred as soon as it appeared to show my mother cooking breakfast in the kitchen. I don’t know how long I laid down like that. I don’t think it took long because the scientist beside me took off the helmet and all the other devices attached to me.

I felt disoriented as if I had let someone rummage through my brain. When I finally opened my eyes, I saw my mother smiling warmly at me from across the room. At the sight of her, I began crying and the scientist beside me, handed me a tissue.

He then said, “Meredith. Always remember, she isn’t human. After analysing your memory- both
conscious and subconscious, we have created a lookalike of your mother from nano modular bots. She will possess the exact traits as your mother, but she isn’t real. She will help you get the closure you always wanted. On the third day, she will vanish after assuring that you won’t be in pain anymore. Even if there’s a slight possibility that you won’t be able to bear it, she will report it to us
and we will help you clear your memories of those three days.” I nodded when he finished his practiced speech.

“Mer, child, let’s go,” I felt a shudder when I heard my mother’s voice. She did not only just look like my mother, she even spoke and behaved like her.
Reluctantly, I slipped my hands into hers and we began walking out of the large laboratory.

When we were out, I led her to the mobile. She gave me a warm smile as I closed the door. After entering the destination location, I laid my head back onto the seat.

“Mom..” I spoke. It took me every ounce of energy to let out that word.
“hmm..” she hummed.

“Are you real?” I asked.

“Yes and no. You are an intelligent kid. You know exactly who I am,” she said.

“You are right,” I let out a chuckle.

For the rest of the ride we did not talk about this scientific procedure. She spoke about the events in my childhood, which even I could not recollect. After the ten minutes-drive, she made me completely comfortable.
When we reached our home, I shuffled to the kitchen to make dinner but my mother (weirdly, I did not find it awkward to call her that) beat me to it. She prepared my favourite dinner. It tasted exactly like how it always did.

That night, she tucked me to bed. I was 20, but my heart melted when she did. For the past seven years, I always went to bed alone.

The next morning, I woke up early. I would only have 2 more days with her and I have decided to make the most out of those. When I went to the kitchen, I found that she had already cooked banana pancakes for me. I took a bite of that delicious breakfast and moaned in happiness. She looked at me warmly and spoke, “Was it difficult Mer – after I was gone?”
I gulped down the food forcibly. This is the first time we are talking about ‘real things’.

“It was,” I said.
“When I woke up after 3 weeks and realized that you had gone, I felt so empty. It took me a few months to accept the reality and move on. But I have always missed you mom,” I said.
“But that’s over. I have you now, even if it’s only for a few days. So let’s do whatever we couldn’t do before,” I said cheerfully.

That day we went to the beach, did a manicure, and roamed around in the mall. At night, we slept together.

I woke up knowing that it’d be the last day with her. We did a lot of crazy things. At dusk, when we were back home, she held my hands with both of hers, “Mer. My time’s up. I will have to leave.”

Tears began rolling down my cheek and I made no effort to keep them at bay. My mother lifted her right hand and wiped my tears. “Mer. You are a wonderful young lady. I am so proud of you. You made it this far without me and you have a lot more to do. I love you child. I love you so much. But now it’s time to let go and live your life happily,” she whispered. Then she kissed my forehead. I felt
the warmth of her lips against my skin and then slowly it vanished.

I opened my eyes to see my empty home but my heart was fuller than it had been in seven years.