Chapter 10

Brookshadow trotted beside Dewfur, her siblings all around her, as her Clan travelled to the Gathering. The light brown tabby felt herself shaking with anxiety and fear. She'd been scared of her clan; How would she feel with all four Clans, in one spot?

However, she knew she could handle the multitudes. Piketooth possibly being there scared her the most.

Dewfur hadn't even wanted her to go. Bramblestar had insisted, and for what reason, Brookshadow hadn't cared to find out. The idea of seeing Piketooth again chilled her soul and rooted her paws to the ground. She'd gotten dizzy with nausea and Dewfur had taken her outside of camp and talked soothingly to her until she could breathe correctly again.

"It's going to be okay, Brookshadow," He mewed, entwining his tail with hers. "I'll be right there, the entire time. You won't be alone. It'll be okay, I promise."

Brookshadow had shaken, shifting closer to Dewfur. "Please don't let him hurt me," She mewed incessantly. "Please don't let him hurt me."

Now Brookshadow blinked and hesitated, coming to a stop. Dewfur looked back at her, then stopped and pressed his forehead against hers. Brookshadow closed her eyes, her lips quivering, knowing that Dewfur's touch was the only thing keeping her from flying apart.

"It's alright, Brookshadow. I won't let anything happen to you. I promise."

He waited until her breathing had steadied again before pulling back and looking at her. "You alright now?"

Brookshadow nodded a bit, and Dewfur stood by her side and guided her paws forward. He nudged Brookshadow onto the tree bridge, and she looked down into the water as she crossed, seeing a reflection of herself. She blinked slowly before jumping down at the other side, noticing that she landed harder than usual. She turned to see Dewfur jumping down right beside her. He smiled reassuringly at her, and Brookshadow took a breath.

She looked at him, her face a mix of anxiety and hope. Dewfur gave her a lick on her ear then led the way through the bushes. Brookshadow paused, then followed him, pushing slowly through the bushes and feeling some of the branching reach out to scratch her, and feeling some leaves attempting to cling to her pelt. She emerged and pulled back her ears, swallowing nervously. Cats were everywhere, talking and mingling together.

Dewfur stood in front of her, looking back. He flicked his ears invitingly, his smile guiding Brookshadow forward to his side. He led her slowly through the throngs of cats, Brookshadow trying not to flinch every time a cat accidentally touched her. They got to one of the clearing and Brookshadow paused, looking around. Dewfur kept going forward, so Brookshadow bounded forward and kept pace with him.

They settled down to await the start of the Gathering. Brookshadow's pelt itched. RiverClan wasn't here yet, and Brookshadow watched, her green eyes flashing in the night, as Bramblestar leapt onto his designated branch on the tree the leaders spoke on. His eyes were narrowed, his tail lashing every now and then, his tail-tip flicking in impatience between lashes. Bramblestar's gaze raked the clearing, and Onestar was watching him with a suspicious look in his eye.

Brookshadow gulped. Could I be the reason the truce is broken tonight? She thought, laying down on her stomach and shutting her eyes tight. She didn't want to be the only thing Bramblestar was concerned about anymore. She didn't want to be the victim of a rape she'd allowed to happen. She didn't even want to be Dewfur's mate anymore; he didn't deserve someone who let themselves be raped by a tom especially one in a different Clan. But mostly, she just wanted to disappear. Maybe then everything would go back to normal. Better than disappearing, hissed a voice in her head, is dying.